‘Melo says Knicks players “worried” Woodson could lose job if losing continues

Dec 4, 2013, 10:08 AM EDT

New York Knicks v Denver Nuggets Getty Images

We told you yesterday Mike Woodson’s seat is getting hot in New York — The Knicks are 3-13 and have lost nine in a row, owner James Dolan has a Nets obsession, the Knicks play the Nets on Thursday and if the Knicks streak reaches 10… let’s just say Dolan is unpredictable.

The fact Woodson could lose his job does worry the Knicks players, Carmelo Anthony said, as reported by Frank Isola of the New York Daily News.

“I mean, yeah, we’re worried about that,” Anthony said on Tuesday. “But then again, we’ve got to worry about playing basketball, man. I think that’s been a problem in New York all this time. Everybody worries about what’s being said on the outside.

“As a team we’ve got to stick together. We’ve got to control our locker room. We’ve got to control what happens on the basketball court. That’s by us playing hard, that’s by us sticking to the game plan and doing what coach Woodson says to do out there on the basketball court. We can’t worry about the speculation that’s going on outside this building and we shouldn’t. And as a leader of this team I’ll try my best not to allow that.”

We can pick apart what Woodson has done wrong as coach of the Knicks — the desire to go big and make ‘Melo a three when he is better at the four, the team’s confusion over switching on defense — but the fact is Knicks management gave him a mismatched roster that can’t win without Tyson Chandler healthy. Woodson would be a scapegoat for bigger problems if fired.

Plus, who could the Knicks get to replace him? Phil Jackson isn’t walking through that door. Neither is Jeff Van Gundy. Coaches know the Knicks are basically locked into this roster for next season, too, with the possibility ‘Melo could leave as a free agent this summer. Look at what George Karl told Denver journalist Dave Krieger in a recent interview when asked about a return to coaching (Karl wants the right fit):

“I mean, I watch the Knicks play and I wouldn’t want to be in that hell for a million dollars. It’s just New York City and the Garden and the immensity of the pressure. I think Mike Woodson is standing up to it with tremendous integrity.”

The Knicks getting some wins would cure the issues short term — eventually the Knicks will get Chandler back, eventually J.R. Smith will start hitting some shots, eventually they will play better but they need some wins short term to take the pressure off for now.

And ‘Melo should be worried, because right now he pretty much has to carry them to those wins.

1. phillysports1 - Dec 4, 2013 at 10:13 AM

Lmao

• fanofevilempire - Dec 4, 2013 at 11:38 AM

did you laugh when sixers traded for Bynum, I did, I’m laughing now.

• deavn - Dec 4, 2013 at 3:06 PM

lol you salty…

2. patsfan92 - Dec 4, 2013 at 11:12 AM

well melo if your team played an ounce of defense and actually won games you guys dont have to worry

• fanofevilempire - Dec 4, 2013 at 11:37 AM

wow…
      crazy Celtic fan!
      we lost a starting defensive center and a starting point guard.

• zerole00 - Dec 4, 2013 at 2:20 PM

And? Chandler was still the only one playing any real defense before the injury. And last season.

3. shanelsweet - Dec 4, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Hard to like either owner, and both teams field players and coaches that are hard to like too. No way to change ownership, but is it that hard to field an NBA team with players and coaches who are likable?

4. chargerdillon - Dec 4, 2013 at 12:56 PM

Makes me wonder if they had to do it all over would either Melo or Chandler have gone to NY?

Melo has done nothing but be the same player he was in Denver with an ultra-magnified spotlight now on him more than ever in Denver.

Chandler left a championship team for this……FOR THIS! He could still be winning rings with Dirk right now. Put him back on the Mavs and they would instantly be a top 5 contender in the West.

I always have a special place in my heart for the Knicks because of growing up watching Patrick Ewing, just sad the biggest thing to happen in NY since Ewing is Jeremy Lin…..AND HE’S ON THE DAMN ROCKETS.

• zerole00 - Dec 4, 2013 at 2:23 PM

I don’t think Melo would. I think he was expecting to be on a contending team, but Stoudemire’s contract absolutely cripples them considering he’s not playing anywhere near as well as his contract would imply.

I think they exceeded their potential last season, this roster seems more like a first round exist in the playoffs – even with how marginal the East is.

• zerole00 - Dec 4, 2013 at 2:25 PM

I forgot to add, with Chandler it’s harder to say. You have to realize that the Mavs really stripped their roster in preparation for big free agents that were coming to the market. They unfortunately struck out (can’t fault their effort though), but if Chandler had stayed with them they probably still would have been a 1-2nd round exist. So not much of a difference.

5. phillysports1 - Dec 4, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Uhhh doesn’t matter now. We are in tanking mode and we still better than Cleveland with Bynum on their starting 5.
    Now I’m laughin lmao

6. phillysports1 - Dec 4, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Now I’m laughin lmao

7. coolrelaxx - Dec 4, 2013 at 6:54 PM

When you lose you go, thank you Csrmelo!!!

8. onlyavoice - Dec 5, 2013 at 6:41 PM

Wanna-Be Woody, an average coach at best & certainly not a playoff coach.
    Woody lost the team last postseason & it’ll be no great loss when he’s fired.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches