Dec 4, 2013, 12:48 PM EDT
We use the phrase here regularly: Kevin Durant is the second best basketball player walking the planet earth right now.
Durant is sick of having that title. He has said it before and he said it again in an interview set to air on “60 Minutes Sports” which will air on Showtime tonight (10 ET). You can see a highlight of the interview below, but here is the money quote he gave James Brown.
“…People would just always say that it’s cool, you’re top three, that’s cool. That’s good to be there. It’s alright to be a top-three player in the world…I mean…I’m just tired of settling for that, tired of saying that, tired of hearing it,”
The piece appears to chronicle just how popular Durant is in OKC. Something he certainly is. Durant also projects a humble, everyman image that plays well in the midwestern market. Durant is pretty much that guy and they talk to his mother about how she raised him and worked to not let his ego get too big.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $90,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Wednesday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $10,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Wednesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
Durant likes Oklahoma City and the team a lot, and he’s under contract for two seasons after this one. We’re a long time away from the summer of 2016 when he can be a free agent, it’s too early to speculate on how he might choose to handle that, too early to have an idea where the Thunder will be as a team at that point.
For now, Durant just wants to start racking up some of that hardware LeBron James has been hoarding the past couple seasons.
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 24
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 27
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11
- Report: Cavaliers trade Brendan Haywood, Mike Miller, two second-round picks to Portland 17
- Blake Griffin, Stephen Curry among latest big names headed to Team USA mini-camp 8
- Kyrie Irving off crutches, cleared by doctors to start working out 8