Dec 4, 2013, 12:48 PM EDT
We use the phrase here regularly: Kevin Durant is the second best basketball player walking the planet earth right now.
Durant is sick of having that title. He has said it before and he said it again in an interview set to air on “60 Minutes Sports” which will air on Showtime tonight (10 ET). You can see a highlight of the interview below, but here is the money quote he gave James Brown.
“…People would just always say that it’s cool, you’re top three, that’s cool. That’s good to be there. It’s alright to be a top-three player in the world…I mean…I’m just tired of settling for that, tired of saying that, tired of hearing it,”
The piece appears to chronicle just how popular Durant is in OKC. Something he certainly is. Durant also projects a humble, everyman image that plays well in the midwestern market. Durant is pretty much that guy and they talk to his mother about how she raised him and worked to not let his ego get too big.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $90,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Wednesday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $10,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Wednesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
Durant likes Oklahoma City and the team a lot, and he’s under contract for two seasons after this one. We’re a long time away from the summer of 2016 when he can be a free agent, it’s too early to speculate on how he might choose to handle that, too early to have an idea where the Thunder will be as a team at that point.
For now, Durant just wants to start racking up some of that hardware LeBron James has been hoarding the past couple seasons.
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 27
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 2
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 7
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 49
- NBA fines Clippers for attempting to circumvent salary cap with DeAndre Jordan 10
- The most overlooked – and maybe most significant – reason Carmelo Anthony won’t waive his no-trade clause this season 18