Dec 3, 2013, 3:54 PM EDT
Royce White got a fresh chance with the Philadelphia 76ers this season. Or at least that’s what he hoped; it also looked a lot like a salary move by Philadelphia at the time. Still he played for the Sixers in the preseason, even took a plane flight road trip, then he was one of the last cuts the team made before the season opened.
“I’m optimistic it will happen,” the former Iowa State star said. “We’re in contact with some teams. “Quite a few more than expected. People are more understanding than you think. It’s not an insensitive crowd. There are teams involved.
“It’s finding a situation that’s appropriate.”
No team names were mentioned. White is a free agent and can sign anywhere.
White has a well documented general anxiety disorder, something he is very open about (he has said he is trying to show others with the disease that they can deal with the disorder). Part of that is a fear of flying, but White told the USA Today that was overblown and he did fly during the Sixers preseason.
White was the No. 22 pick of the Houston Rockets in 2012, but he never played for them and was traded to the Sixers this past summer. He’s considered a guy with some point-forward kind skills who could maybe have a DeJuan Blair kind of impact on the right team. However, there were reports that the Sixers (like the Rockets) were frustrated his attitude, that he wasn’t working with them to help him navigate the NBA. Take all these kind of reports with a grain of salt, but they’re out there.
We’ll see how it plays out. Guys with talent get chances and White has that. I’d like to see him get that chance and show what he can do on an NBA court.
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 10
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 7
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 10
- Report: Cavaliers trade Brendan Haywood, Mike Miller, two second-round picks to Portland 17
- Blake Griffin, Stephen Curry among latest big names headed to Team USA mini-camp 7
- Kyrie Irving off crutches, cleared by doctors to start working out 8
- Report: Becky Hammon gaining traction around the NBA as “serious” head-coaching candidate 42
- Gregg Popovich discusses three-point shot, changing roles for bigs in NBA 4