Dec 3, 2013, 12:29 PM EDT
With the Knicks tied for the worst record in the East, on a nine-game losing streak, with infighting starting to bubble to the surface, and an owner who thought this team would be a contender at the start of the season, you would expect coach Mike Woodson’s seat to be getting hot.
The expiration date on owner James Dolan’s recent vote of confidence for coach Mike Woodson is approaching, according to sources.
While Woodson will coach the Knicks when they play the Nets on Thursday, it is unclear how much longer Dolan will allow this losing streak to go on. It has reached nine straight defeats and the team’s mental instability has become an issue. Dolan is obsessed with the Brooklyn franchise and a blowout loss could trigger changes — whether via trade or a coaching move.
That somebody leaked this to the Post suggests a shot across the bow of Woodson from ownership.
Woodson hasn’t been fired yet for a couple of reasons. One, this isn’t all his fault. I don’t love how he prepared the meal but he isn’t the guy who went shopping and bought this terrible mix of ingredients without thinking about how they go together. Look at it this way: New York’s front office compiled a team that requires a healthy Tyson Chandler to be competitive. That’s not smart and it’s not on the coach. Second, Dolan is a contrarian by nature. If people tell him to do one thing, he tends to want to do the opposite. People in New York want Woodson’s head, Dolan backs his man.
However Dolan is frustrated and unpredictable, so Woodson should be concerned. Dolan can’t fire the players and has already changed GMs, he sees a season like this making it harder to keep Carmelo Anthony, and Woodson is the next logical scapegoat.
Fire Woodson and you have another question: Who takes over as coach?
Here is what Berman wrote at the Post.
The Post has also learned that if Dolan eventually makes a move, old enemy and ex-Knicks coach Jeff Van Gundy would not be ruled out as a future candidate — though such a hire seems more sensible in the offseason if Dolan goes with an interim coach.
Um… no. That’s not happening. Zero chance it happens midseason and little chance it happens in the offseason. As part of the always entertaining New York media infighting, Frank Isola shot down the JVG rumors quickly.
You know who the Knicks will go after as coach if Woodson is fired? Whoever Carmelo Anthony wants.
- PBT Extra: Mike Conley changes series, but Warriors will start to hit shots again 0
- Last summer Blake Griffin talked to Tim Duncan about leadership 4
- PBT Extra: Will anyone step up and be third scorer for Cavaliers in Game 2? 11
- Doc Rivers on whether Chris Paul plays in Game 2 vs. Rockets: ‘Right now, I just don’t think so’ 3
- Tony ‘First Team All-Defense’ Allen and Mike ‘Masked Assassin’ Conley lead Grizzlies to Game 2 win over Warriors 18
- Hawks unimpressive, but pull away late for Game 2 win over Wizards 6
- Mike Conley playing Game 2 against Warriors tonight 0
- John Wall out for Wizards-Hawks Game 2 tonight 3