Dec 3, 2013, 11:00 AM EST
Portland won the game, 106-102.. The Trail Blazers magical run to start the season continues with a win over the NBA’s best team to start the season. They should be excited in the Pacific Northwest, they are building something there that could be very good in a couple of years.
But in that win Indiana’s Paul George almost stole the show (and the game) — he dropped a career high 43 points in the game.
Seventeen of those came in the fourth quarter, including hitting some threes despite great defense from Wes Mathews, who was all but inside his jersey. The Trail Blazers forced him to take a lot of bad shots, he just hit them. George looked like the emerging superstar he has become this season and the go-to scorer some thought Indiana lacked. George just quiets the Portland crowd again and again.
(By the way, note to Trail Blazers fans who based on my twitter timeline have some sort of inferiority complex and feel they didn’t get enough credit for a December win over the Pacers — relax. It’s a great win, your team is off to an amazing start. This was one of the most fun games of the season so far. Also understand you beat a Pacers that played the Clippers the day before in Los Angeles then played the second-toughest back-to-back in the league [yes, Portland had the same back-to-back, but the Clips are the more physical matchup]. Also, when you have the 21st ranked defense in the NBA [points allowed per possession] and the point differential of a 12-6 team, we think you will come back to earth some. Still, this is a very good team with a potentially very bright future. Don’t get too wound up over games this early in the season.)
- Kobe Bryant: “We’re not a 3-11 team. We’re not.” 15
- Tom Thibodeau is getting tired of answering Derrick Rose questions 14
- Veteran NBA coach: ‘I think (Cavaliers head coach David Blatt) is struggling a bit’ 28
- PBT’s Monday night NBA Winners/Losers: That looks more like the Cavaliers we expected 12
- Carmelo Anthony exits Knicks-Rockets game with apparent back injury 9
- Russell Westbrook and Kevin Durant progressing in rehab, Westbrook could play Friday 6
- Lakers forward Xavier Henry ruptured Achilles in practice, out for season 23
- PBT Extra: Our Thanksgiving week turkeys, starting with the 76ers 2