Dec 3, 2013, 11:00 AM EDT
Portland won the game, 106-102.. The Trail Blazers magical run to start the season continues with a win over the NBA’s best team to start the season. They should be excited in the Pacific Northwest, they are building something there that could be very good in a couple of years.
But in that win Indiana’s Paul George almost stole the show (and the game) — he dropped a career high 43 points in the game.
Seventeen of those came in the fourth quarter, including hitting some threes despite great defense from Wes Mathews, who was all but inside his jersey. The Trail Blazers forced him to take a lot of bad shots, he just hit them. George looked like the emerging superstar he has become this season and the go-to scorer some thought Indiana lacked. George just quiets the Portland crowd again and again.
(By the way, note to Trail Blazers fans who based on my twitter timeline have some sort of inferiority complex and feel they didn’t get enough credit for a December win over the Pacers — relax. It’s a great win, your team is off to an amazing start. This was one of the most fun games of the season so far. Also understand you beat a Pacers that played the Clippers the day before in Los Angeles then played the second-toughest back-to-back in the league [yes, Portland had the same back-to-back, but the Clips are the more physical matchup]. Also, when you have the 21st ranked defense in the NBA [points allowed per possession] and the point differential of a 12-6 team, we think you will come back to earth some. Still, this is a very good team with a potentially very bright future. Don’t get too wound up over games this early in the season.)
- Hey John Wall/Dion Waiters, Stephen Curry says Warriors have best backcourt. And he’s right. 0
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Charlotte Hornets 1
- Kobe Bryant plans to play in all 8 preseason games for Lakers 2
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Miami Heat 8
- Mike Miller points to him being amnestied as start of LeBron James leaving Miami 14
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 14
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5