Dec 3, 2013, 6:17 PM EDT
At NBA Summer League through games in Brooklyn at the start of this season, the coach voice you heard yelling out defenses and instructions was often assistant coach Lawrence Frank, not head coach Jason Kidd. When the Nets decided to go with the untested Kidd as coach they hired Frank (and paid him well) to be the experienced voice next to him on the bench.
That didn’t last long.
Kidd said Tuesday that Frank had been “reassigned” and would be doing daily reports for the organization, he will not be on the bench anymore, reports Howard Beck of Bleacher Report and other Nets reporters.
“it’s just different philosophies,” Kidd says. “That’s it.”
Is having a different philosophy from a 5-12 coach a bad thing?
There had been rumors of strong differences between the two for a while, and things had spiraled down following a Nov. 4 argument, reports Adrain Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports.
After Brooklyn Nets coach Jason Kidd blistered top assistant Lawrence Frank in a staff meeting on Nov. 4, the partnership was irreparably damaged and ultimately spiraled to its end on Tuesday, league sources told Yahoo Sports.
Hours after a blowout loss to the Orlando Magic – Kidd’s first game on the bench following a two-game suspension to start the season – the entire coaching staff witnessed Kidd lose his temper with Frank and escalate a strangely uneasy and brief coaching partnership together.
Kidd was always a strong willed player who wanted to do things his way. Frank is a strong willed, opinionated coach who could drive players crazy with his micromanagement. Frank was brought in because of how he prepares but he and Kidd could not get along. Marc Stein of ESPN summed up the pro-Kidd spin well.
We’ll see what impact this has on the team, but it means a bigger role for Joe Prunty.
It’s an expensive decision for the Nets, as Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports noted.
- Report: Lakers working to clear out more cap space to land both LaMarcus Aldridge, DeAndre Jordan 12
- PBT Extra: What players will most influence free agency? 1
- PBT Podcast: The top guys to watch as NBA free agency tips off 1
- Scottie Pippen: “I was LeBron James before LeBron James” 22
- Report: Kings probing John Calipari about his interest in coaching and running the team’s front office 20
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 18
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 31
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 27