Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible

Dec 3, 2013, 5:11 PM EDT

The real test comes Wednesday — it’s not how Kobe Bryant looked in practice Tuesday that will determine if he returns to the Lakers lineup Friday night, it’s how he feels 24 hours later.

Still, he looked good.

That according to everyone who saw him. Here are some tweets from Lakers reporters out of the practice.

As noted above, what matters most is how Kobe’s body responds tomorrow. Notice that the dunk above is off the right foot, not the repaired left. As is to be expected.

Kobe did not speak to the media (likely he will not until Thursday) but you get the feeling he will be back this weekend.

The Lakers play at Sacramento on Friday night then host Toronto on Sunday.

Don’t expect to see Steve Nash in either of those games. He practiced for 10 minutes but both the reporters there and Nash himself noted he looked much farther away.

The Lakers are without Jordan Farmar for the next month due to a torn hamstring, leaving Steve Blake as the only point guard healthy and active. The loss of Farmar is a blow to the second unit, where he helped orchestrate a surprisingly successful unit. Farmar also had some good run next to Blake. Now Mike D’Antoni is going to have to scramble his rotations a lot.

Of course, he was going to have to do that with Bryant’s return anyway.

1. antistratfordian - Dec 3, 2013 at 5:41 PM

He still jumped off his right foot for that dunk – dunking left handed – which isn’t normally what he’d do. It seems he’s still wary of testing the left foot.

• JHathwell - Dec 3, 2013 at 6:15 PM

Here’s the google results for “Kobe left-handed” dunk.

You are really getting good at putting your foot in your mouth. Or maybe you’re just a natural.

• antistratfordian - Dec 3, 2013 at 6:24 PM

I didn’t say Kobe couldn’t dunk left handed. It’s just not what he normally does – and especially not on a fast break.

In the top two returns from your link his left handed dunk was out of half court sets where he just takes off from whichever foot he’s on to jump in stride without traveling.

On the clip in the article it’s on a fast break where he measures his steps so he can specifically jump off the right foot instead of the left.

In fact, none of the clips from your link has a right foot, left handed dunk from Kobe on a fast break.

• JHathwell - Dec 3, 2013 at 6:30 PM

Maybe you aren’t aware of this, but most great NBA scorers are in fact ambidextrous. Beside that, even if he’s making a conscious choice to dunk off his right foot, that in no way means he isn’t ready to return.

I know you are this website’s anti-Kobe conspiracy theorist and resident nutbag, but this is a reach even for you, buddy boy.

• antistratfordian - Dec 3, 2013 at 6:35 PM

I did not suggest anything to the contrary, friend. I don’t know why you’re so sensitive.

• musician0785 - Dec 3, 2013 at 7:29 PM

“you come to every lakers post and spew something negative about the organization and its star player even though you’re a fan of another team (and I really wonder how long you’ve actually been a heat fan)….what would you call someone who does that?”

• antistratfordian - Dec 3, 2013 at 7:30 PM

I haven’t said anything negative here about Kobe.

• musician0785 - Dec 3, 2013 at 7:32 PM

yea ok….

• asimonetti88 - Dec 3, 2013 at 10:18 PM

Kobe is just as proficient with his left hand. He has hit several three pointers left handed, including a memorable one against the Mavericks falling back with the shot clock expiring the last year they missed the playoffs. He dunks left handed fairly frequently.

It was a bit of a tentative dunk, but it’s also practice. The fact he is getting up at all is a great sign, and watching some of the highlights of him in practice lately he looks good.

• mytthor - Dec 4, 2013 at 2:43 AM

If he’s hit “several” three-pointers left handed — considering he’s hit over 1600 with his right hand — I’d say that while he is proficient with his left hand, it’s hard to call that “just as proficient.”

• antistratfordian - Dec 4, 2013 at 3:56 PM

No he isn’t.

2. fanofevilempire - Dec 3, 2013 at 5:58 PM

I hate to say this but the Lakers are probably going to find themselves @ the 7th or 8th
    spot in a loaded west and that is only if Mamba comes back and dominates off a major
    injury @ 37.

• fanofevilempire - Dec 3, 2013 at 5:59 PM

but don’t bet against him either.

• antistratfordian - Dec 3, 2013 at 6:08 PM

I don’t think there’s much the Lakers can do to make the playoffs – unless there are a rash of injuries in the west.

• JHathwell - Dec 3, 2013 at 7:00 PM

Since when is correcting your ridiculous theories “being sensitive”?

Sorry, but as long as you insist on talking like a wackjob and I see it, I’m likely going to continue correcting you. Doesn’t matter if it’s about Kobe or anything else.

• antistratfordian - Dec 3, 2013 at 7:15 PM

Ridiculous theories? No, the issue here is your rash miscalculation.

You saw the comment was from me and you instantly assumed that I was implying something negative, when it is in fact just an objective observation – the same one made in the article.

• JHathwell - Dec 5, 2013 at 4:18 PM

Except you have no idea what you are talking about. I get it, you’re here to troll.

Carry on.

• antistratfordian - Dec 5, 2013 at 4:31 PM

Obviously I do have some idea because Kobe isn’t ready to come back just yet.

You Kobe fans should’ve learned from Bulls fans – you cannot trust yourselves to view this objectively – you’re going to view everything through rose colored glasses.

You must trust us on this – Kobe was protecting his left achilles and he’s not quite mentally (or physically) prepared to come back. Those things are true. But he’s going to try to fast-track it in his mind over the next few days, so we’ll see what happens.

• JHathwell - Dec 7, 2013 at 5:15 PM

“Obviously I do have some idea because Kobe isn’t ready to come back just yet.”

He’s back tomorrow, bubba. Maybe you read it wrong or something.

• antistratfordian - Dec 7, 2013 at 6:37 PM

You’re replying to a comment made on Thursday about Kobe not being ready to come back on Friday. And he wasn’t.

Keep trying, though – you might get lucky. You know what they say about broken clocks…

• JHathwell - Dec 7, 2013 at 6:42 PM

You are an insane person. I enjoy your rants.

Why don’t you tell me more about the inner-workings of Kobe’s body and where he’s at mentally?

• antistratfordian - Dec 7, 2013 at 8:18 PM

I’ve already done that. Quite frankly, I’ve done that so much over the last 15 years that I’m tired of doing it (and when I started this crusade things like “efficiency” weren’t taken seriously by fans – but obviously that has changed. So it has become less necessary to be as steadfast about certain things as the general basketball fan becomes more sophisticated). But I’m sure you can search and find past discussions somewhere. Pay close attention to my reflections on his narcissistic personality disorder – it is by far the most revealing and entertaining.

Yes, it takes one to know one, so you should trust me on such matters.

• JHathwell - Dec 7, 2013 at 9:06 PM

Fabulous grasp on reality, boss. Keep it up.

• antistratfordian - Dec 8, 2013 at 6:10 AM

“You need not wonder at my knowing all human languages; for, to tell you the truth, I also understand all the secrets of human silence.”

• JHathwell - Dec 8, 2013 at 3:17 PM

Except for Basketball. You don’t understand that language in the least.

• antistratfordian - Dec 8, 2013 at 8:22 PM

Yawn. Until next time.

• JHathwell - Dec 8, 2013 at 8:42 PM

I’ll bet your one of those kids who tell people you are an “NBA writer”.

(assuming you leave your house, anyway.)

• antistratfordian - Dec 11, 2013 at 4:01 PM

No. And I don’t even know what that means, but I’ll take it as a compliment.

• JHathwell - Dec 3, 2013 at 6:13 PM

That’s markedly better than were most experts had them. Thus far, this is a .500 team in a loaded conference despite having no Kobe, No Nash and a poor version of Pau.

• 00maltliquor - Dec 3, 2013 at 8:14 PM

Poor version of Pau??

• JHathwell - Dec 3, 2013 at 8:51 PM

Yeah, he’s been brutal this year. Career lows all over the place, barely shooting 40%, lowest PER ever. Playing like a guy who is either thinking about medical school or playing for a good team.

• spthegr8 - Dec 3, 2013 at 9:26 PM

@JHath
        You are right. Pau has been the DRIZZLING SH**S so far this yr!! He is gonna benefit the most when Kb gets back. Pau needs someone to take the pressure off him. Your also right about Anti. He is the resident Laker “Troll”. Their are ALOT of them on this board but, he is the President, get use too it. Welcome to PBT Bruh!!!

• thisisasticup - Dec 4, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Kobe aged 2 extra years since he got hurt?

3. rodge1 - Dec 3, 2013 at 6:52 PM

At least it shouldn’t affect his not-wanting-to-play-defense.

• spthegr8 - Dec 3, 2013 at 9:31 PM

@Ryder1
      Just when I start speaking of Kobe’s “Trolls”/Haters, here you are. What rock you been hiding under lately.?? The Heat are playing now, are you gonna get finned for not cheering @ home game???

• smoothaswilkes - Dec 3, 2013 at 10:58 PM

@spthegr8 – you really thing that Kobe played defense last year? Further, do you think he’s going to play any defense when he comes back from an achilles injury? Dude, this ain’t 2005 when Kobe was actually a two-way player – actually not sure he was then either.

• mytthor - Dec 4, 2013 at 2:45 AM

Um yeah, dude. I’m the biggest Laker fan in the world, but if you’re going to argue that Kobe did anything other than spectate on defense last year, you just make yourself look silly.

• spthegr8 - Dec 4, 2013 at 9:28 AM

@Smooth
        Has Kobe’s D declined….Yeah, it has. He rome’s WAY too much and cost us a lot of basket’s because of it. It drives me crazy!!! But I have also seen him Turn-up on D, having to guard the other team’s best guard. He doesn’t shut them down by any means but, it’s better than having Nash try and cover them.

4. 00maltliquor - Dec 3, 2013 at 8:13 PM

Good. We need all the guard help we can get. Everyone’s dropping like flies. Half the team is Injured right now.

5. testercl922 - Dec 3, 2013 at 9:31 PM

good!

6. arsveritas2013 - Dec 3, 2013 at 9:45 PM

there’s no rush. wait at least another 10 days, then talk about playing.

7. fordmandalay - Dec 3, 2013 at 10:38 PM

Enjoy guys like Kobe for as long as you can – superstar players don’t come around too often, and when they’re gone we’re stuck with too many mediocre guys. Like that commercial with KG getting booed by fans as he comes into an arena – man I’m a lifetime Laker fan/Celtic hater from the Baylor/West days, but if I saw KG at a game I’d stand and cheer him. Be thankful you’re seeing these guys.

8. jerdogthompson - Dec 3, 2013 at 10:50 PM

I’m gonna go out on a limb and say Kobe will get 3 million for every dunk the remainder of the season. That’s 8 dunks for you math wizards. What a bargain the Lakers got on that one for sure.

• musician0785 - Dec 3, 2013 at 10:59 PM

At least you got the math right this time

• asimonetti88 - Dec 4, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Actually, no he didn’t. If Kobe gets $3 million for every dunk this season, he’ll dunk the ball 10 times, seeing as he is making $30.45 million this season.

• asimonetti88 - Dec 4, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Leave it to a Clippers fan to assume you get paid based on dunking.

9. kenny43055 - Dec 4, 2013 at 12:44 AM

Kobe is easily one of the best in the game. When he is ready to play he will. He is also old and is still playing at a level like a 28 year old. Watching him dunk should make other players not happy. Although he does not have a great team, they will compete and maybe make the playoff this year again. Kobe is a fun player to watch to even though I am a Cavs fan. Good luck to Kobe in this injury and I really do hope he comes back this week or next to show that this contract was not a mistake!

10. patsfan92 - Dec 4, 2013 at 11:31 AM

i think this a much better rounded team than last year. if kobe comes back this team can be better than people think

11. coolrelaxx - Dec 4, 2013 at 6:57 PM

Really…, a dunk and their excited!!! With them their still not going to make the playoffs. 48 million for what? Somebody tell me.

Heat can make playoffs without LeBron
Top 10 NBA Player Searches