Anthony Mason used to be bouncer at LL Cool J’s barbecues. Yes, that’s happened.

Dec 3, 2013, 1:52 PM EDT

Anthony mason knicks

LL Cool J has made the difficult transition from rapper to actor on a show your grandma watches. Not every guy can do that.

He’s also a Knicks fan who had a lot of hoops connections from back in the day – he talked trash with a rookie Kobe Bryant, he was friends with Charles Oakley and Patrick Ewing.

Oh, and his friend and Knicks enforcer Anthony Mason served as his bodyguard at barbecues. That’s what LL told Adam Figman of SLAM in a fun Q&A (hat tip to Kelly Dwyer at Ball Don’t Lie).

Anthony Mason was my man—he used to be in Queens all the time in my neighborhood. He used to throw guys out of barbecues for me. They were talking trash to me and Anthony Mason used to come in and grab them and be like, “Y’all gotta go! Y’all gotta go!” He was my man.

It’s easy to picture Mason doing exactly that.

And nobody would argue with him.

1. timb12 - Dec 3, 2013 at 1:55 PM

Isn’t it LL Cool J?

2. Mr. Wright 212 - Dec 3, 2013 at 2:00 PM

This is where being from New York allows you to be privy to things that outta town cats didn’t know. Everyone from around the way knew this back in the early 90s. Mase was from the same Parsons/Archer/Farmers stretch.

3. edwardemanuelson - Dec 3, 2013 at 2:15 PM

LL Cool J is hard as hell.

• Mr. Wright 212 - Dec 3, 2013 at 2:41 PM

Rock the BELLLLLSSSS

4. timberwolvesbrisin - Dec 3, 2013 at 2:32 PM

LOL @ this being a story.

• fanofevilempire - Dec 3, 2013 at 2:48 PM

so what did you read?

5. fanofevilempire - Dec 3, 2013 at 2:47 PM

Ladies Love Cool Jay…….

Jamaica Queens

6. jobotjones - Dec 3, 2013 at 3:08 PM

I thought the kind of people that had people thrown out of their bbq’s were the type of people that called bbq’s cookouts?

• fanofevilempire - Dec 3, 2013 at 4:52 PM

you watching too much Boyz in the hood SON.

7. The History Bear - Dec 3, 2013 at 11:49 PM

He works somewhere near grand central nowadays. I see him on third ave a lot. Usually decently dressed. I’ve seen him a handful of times, so I assume he works. Although when he was on the Knicks, my friends and I saw him at an arcade in Armonk, ny. We were too scared to go talk to him. He fight too much, as Cedric the entertainer once said….

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches