Dec 3, 2013, 1:52 PM EST
LL Cool J has made the difficult transition from rapper to actor on a show your grandma watches. Not every guy can do that.
He’s also a Knicks fan who had a lot of hoops connections from back in the day – he talked trash with a rookie Kobe Bryant, he was friends with Charles Oakley and Patrick Ewing.
Oh, and his friend and Knicks enforcer Anthony Mason served as his bodyguard at barbecues. That’s what LL told Adam Figman of SLAM in a fun Q&A (hat tip to Kelly Dwyer at Ball Don’t Lie).
Anthony Mason was my man—he used to be in Queens all the time in my neighborhood. He used to throw guys out of barbecues for me. They were talking trash to me and Anthony Mason used to come in and grab them and be like, “Y’all gotta go! Y’all gotta go!” He was my man.
It’s easy to picture Mason doing exactly that.
And nobody would argue with him.
- Miami fans give LeBron warm welcome, Heat team not so much in upset win 1
- Russell Westbrook inspires Thunder to skid-stopping win over Spurs 7
- LeBron James, Stephen Curry leading in early All-Star voting returns 16
- PBT Christmas Day preview: Late game between Clippers and Warriors will see league’s best rivalry renewed 1
- PBT Extra: Top 5 NBA stories of 2014 0
- Five things to watch as NBA takes over Christmas Day 16
- Cavaliers center Anderson Varejao tears Achilles, done for season 30
- Miami Heat fans were hurt when LeBron left, they may let him hear it. Somewhat. 24