Dec 3, 2013, 1:52 PM EDT
LL Cool J has made the difficult transition from rapper to actor on a show your grandma watches. Not every guy can do that.
He’s also a Knicks fan who had a lot of hoops connections from back in the day – he talked trash with a rookie Kobe Bryant, he was friends with Charles Oakley and Patrick Ewing.
Oh, and his friend and Knicks enforcer Anthony Mason served as his bodyguard at barbecues. That’s what LL told Adam Figman of SLAM in a fun Q&A (hat tip to Kelly Dwyer at Ball Don’t Lie).
Anthony Mason was my man—he used to be in Queens all the time in my neighborhood. He used to throw guys out of barbecues for me. They were talking trash to me and Anthony Mason used to come in and grab them and be like, “Y’all gotta go! Y’all gotta go!” He was my man.
It’s easy to picture Mason doing exactly that.
And nobody would argue with him.
- USA Basketball announces 12 man roster for World Cup; Parsons, Hayward, Lillard, Korver cut 0
- USA Basketball cruises to exhibition win over Puerto Rico with final roster cuts looming 1
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 79
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20