Dec 2, 2013, 7:37 PM EDT
Losing causes friction in the locker room. Nine losses is a row is almost enough friction to start a fire.
For the second time in a day some of that friction around the New York Knicks bubbled to the surface — Metta World Peace and Kenyon Martin got in a heated argument Sunday during a workout before the Knicks game, reports Ian Begley at ESPNNewYork.com.
The two veteran forwards did not come to blows, but the back and forth was described as “intense” by one source with knowledge of the dust-up.
World Peace and Martin smoothed things over prior to the Knicks’ 103-99 loss to the Pelicans on Sunday night, sources with knowledge of the situation said.
We don’t have any idea what this one was about, but two veteran players like this should be able to move on.
We already told you that Iman Shumpert vented at Carmelo Anthony after a “miscommunication” on a defensive play. While caught on camera nobody is talking about that one, but Shumpert was already on the trade block so this could well just be a step toward the door for him.
All this really shows is that things are tense in New York, which we knew. There also is no great hope in sight — they need to get J.R. Smith right and Tyson Chandler back healthy. Do that, take some pressure off Carmelo Anthony and things can start to swing the other direction.
But in the short term, coach Mike Woodson has to be concerned he doesn’t become the scapegoat to relieve the pressure.
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 20
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2
- Jim Boeheim says of Carmelo Anthony, “it would have been better to go to Chicago” 30
- Steve Ballmer screams like a maniac at Clippers rally 26
- Thibodeau calls Team USA “perfect setting” for Derrick Rose to make return 6
- What four players left likely to get cut from Team USA roster? Things don’t look good for Andre Drummond. 19
- John Calipari says he was not close to going to Cleveland. LeBron or not. 12
- Report: Shawn Marion commits to play with Cavaliers, LeBron James 47