Dec 2, 2013, 4:10 PM EDT
The Lakers injury woes just continue (for a second consecutive season).
Jordan Farmar, who has played well as a reserve point guard for the Lakers this season sparking a bench unit that has been key to their 9-9 record, will be out for a month with a torn left hamstring, the team announced Monday.
Farmar pulled up grabbing his hamstring in the first quarter Sunday of the Lakers loss to Portland and did not return to the game.
Farmar had been playing well of late, averaging 16.7 points, and 4.7 assists per contest in his last three games. On the season he is averaging 9.2 points a game in just shy of 19 minutes a night and has been a spark off the bench many nights.
Farmar had been the guy with the ball on the Lakers two most successful bench units. When paired with Jodie Meeks, Xavier Henry, Wesley Johnson and Jordan Hill the unit shot 48.1 percent and outscored opponents by one point per 100 possessions. Put Farmar, Henry and Hill with Shawne Williams and Nick Young and they outscored opponents by 14 points per 48.
Without him the Lakers bench will not be quite the same. Steve Blake will get more run and guys like Meeks may be forced to play some point.
Steve Nash could return to provide some depth at the point. Could. But we’ll see how that shakes out.
In other injury news, an MRI on Pau Gasol‘s ankle confirmed a mild sprain. There is no timeline on his return but the Lakers do not play again until Friday.
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 17
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 31
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 8