Dec 2, 2013, 11:00 AM EDT
Because what the Lakers need is another injured star player…
Gasol sat out practice Saturday and was not himself Sunday in the Lakers loss to Portland — 3-of-15 shooting and most of those were him settling for jumpers as he showed no explosion or ability to get to the rim. Then he sat out the entire fourth quarter because of his ankle.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $35,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Monday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $6,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Monday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
The good news for Lakers fans is the team is off all week until Friday, when they face the Kings in Sacramento. That’s a week of rest.
Friday’s game also could mark the return of Kobe Bryant and Steve Nash to the Lakers lineup, depending on how they respond to a week of practice. The Lakers goal was to win games and hang around .500 until the Lakers got Nash/Kobe/Gasol healthy and then they could make a push for the playoffs. So far the bench guys have done that and carried the team to a 9-9 record playing a Mike D’Antoni style of ball. Soon we’ll see if the second half of that plan works.
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 16
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 30
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 2
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 8
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 49
- NBA fines Clippers for attempting to circumvent salary cap with DeAndre Jordan 10