Dec 2, 2013, 12:02 PM EDT
The Basketball Gods are treating the Brooklyn Nets like Odysseus.
The already injury plagued 5-12 Brooklyn Nets will be without Paul Pierce for 2-4 weeks due to a broken third metacarpal bone in his right hand the team announced Monday. That is the bone that basically connects your middle finger to your wrist. The injury happened Friday night against the Houston Rockets and Pierce sat out Saturday’s Nets’ win over the Grizzlies on the road.
This means Alan Anderson will be starting for the Nets for a while, he was 0-6 from the floor against Houston.
Pierce is the Nets third leading scorer at 12.4 points per game but is shooting just 36.8 percent on the season (and 26.8 percent from three). He’s simply not been good.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $35,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Monday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $6,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Monday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
Injuries remain the main issue for the Nets.
Don’t this year’s Nets remind you of last year’s Lakers? A lot of star power but injuries have kept them from forming any kind of cohesive play — Deron Williams needs to be the offensive leader on this team but he missed all of training camp and a lot of time since (he is out Tuesday vs. Denver and doubtful for Thursday). Brook Lopez is the Nets best player right now and he just got back on the court and he is not 100 percent. Kevin Garnett looks old and is not leading any kind of transformation on the defensive end.
At some point the Nets should get healthier and string together some wins, which well could make them a playoff team in the East, but they are no kind of real threat to the elite.
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 0
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 28
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 17
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 42
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 56
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 15
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6