J.R. Smith says surgically-repaired knee is bothering him

Dec 1, 2013, 12:30 PM EST

J.R. Smith Getty Images

There’s a lot wrong with the Knicks this season. But on the offensive end of the floor, the drop-off in production from J.R. Smith has to be near the top of the list.

Smith was the league’s Sixth Man of the Year a season ago, and averaged 18.1 points per game on 42.2 percent shooting. This year, Smith is off to a much slower start. In the 10 games he’s played, his minutes are similar, but he’s scoring 11.7 points per game while shooting just 32.8 percent.

After receiving a free agent contract in the offseason, Smith underwent surgery to repair a torn meniscus in his left knee. He missed the first five games of the season serving a suspension for violating the league’s drug policy, but has appeared in every game since, mostly with below average results.

Smith admitted after Friday’s loss in Denver — New York’s eighth straight — that the knee has been bothering him.

From Peter Botte of the New York Daily News:

“My jumper just hasn’t been there,” Smith said. “That’s situations where I got to make my teammates better, get guys open shots and keep driving to the hole. But one thing, I’m not going to stop shooting.”

Asked if his surgically repaired left knee has affected his shooting stroke and his overall play, Smith admitted: “Somewhat, but it’s all right, I’m still playing…It’s taking time. I’m not one to make excuses, but I got to play better. If it’s hurting that bad, then I shouldn’t be playing. I’m out there and I’m going to try to give it all I got.”

The loss of veteran leadership in the locker room has been a factor, as has the loss of the team’s defensive anchor in Tyson Chandler due to injury. But the Knicks need any help they can get to improve an offense that ranks 24th in the league this year, after being third in the league last season. Whether or not Smith is able to regain something similar to last year’s form will go a long way in determining just how much progress can be made.

1. fballlvr22 - Dec 1, 2013 at 12:47 PM

I love hearing about these guys with surgically repaired knees getting hurt again. Just tore mine and had it repaired. It’s hard to understand it if you’ve never been through it. It’s a rough ride.

• 00maltliquor - Dec 2, 2013 at 12:31 AM

If that’s the case then why the would you love hearing about these kind of stories???

2. jhb64 - Dec 1, 2013 at 1:08 PM

They should never of signed him. He’s a bum.

3. jhb64 - Dec 1, 2013 at 1:09 PM

He’s a bum,they never should have resigned him

• bjornreyes - Dec 1, 2013 at 9:36 PM

Resign him (a bum) they should have never done.

4. timberwolvesbrisin - Dec 1, 2013 at 1:21 PM

Riiiiiiiight JR. I’m sure he’d not be saying this if he was playing well. I use to like the Knicks but cAnt root for a team that employs to overrated inefficient gunners like JR and Melo.

• timberwolvesbrisin - Dec 1, 2013 at 1:22 PM

*two

• sportsfan18 - Dec 1, 2013 at 7:20 PM

Bingo! Gotta make an excuse for how crappy he’s playing.

Maybe they should sit him and put his brother in the game!

5. 22yearsagotoday - Dec 1, 2013 at 2:39 PM

Fork: done!

6. shanelsweet - Dec 1, 2013 at 3:25 PM

Hard to root for this guy. Glad he’s not on my team.

7. prosourcetalk - Dec 1, 2013 at 5:56 PM

THE BUMS WILL ALWAYS LOSE!

8. rodge1 - Dec 1, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Whatever happened to cantonbound & ms.wright212????…. Haven’t heard from those trolls in a while…

• leahcima1 - Dec 2, 2013 at 8:03 AM

Don’t know about ms.wright but cantonjerko can’t take rejection and is sitting in his cave sticking pins in his LeBron doll.

• knightrider1755 - Dec 2, 2013 at 3:38 PM

When the going gets tough for the Knicks, the Knicks fans routinely disappear. If the Knicks were 13-3 instead of 3-13, this article would be bombarded with Knicks fans deliriously boasting about how great the Knicks are. With all the hysteria the Knicks generate among their fans, it is hard to believe they haven’t won a championship in over 40 years and they’ve only won 2 championships in their nearly 70 years of existence. In essence, the Knicks have one more championship than the Sacramento Kings who won once when they were the Rochester Royals.

9. 00maltliquor - Dec 2, 2013 at 12:34 AM

I bet of he dropped 30 this (re:his) story wouldn’t exsist. SMH

10. csbanter - Dec 2, 2013 at 8:57 AM

What Smith meant to say is”I got my money and 400k vehicle WTF if I care about my game. As Chappelle once said I’m rich bi#ch

Can red hot Warriors sustain success?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches