Dec 1, 2013, 1:50 PM EDT
J.J. Redick has been a key part of the Clippers having the third best offense in the NBA this season — he gives them an efficient 15.8 points a game in kind of a “Ray Allen in Boston” role coming off screens and spotting up at the arc as a kick-out option.
But the Clippers will have to be without him for six-to-eight weeks due to a “fracture in the small bone (pisiform) of his right hand and a tear of his right ulnar collateral ligament (elbow),” the team announced Sunday. Both injuries occurred Friday in the Clippers win over the Kings. You can see the video of the play above — Redick came in to rebound on the weak side, made incidental contact with DeMarcus Cousins in the air, fell back and hit his wrist as he landed.
Redick will be re-evaluated Monday by a specialist and a course of treatment decided upon. The pisiform bone is kind of at the base of the hand near the wrist and helps form the carpal tunnel. So no, you can’t just play through that as a shooter. The UCL ligament is at the back of the elbow.
The Clips will move Willie Green back into the starting lineup to keep Jamal Crawford in his sixth man role, although expect Crawford’s minutes to jump. This will also mean more shots and responsibility for Jared Dudley to space the floor.
Doc Rivers has leaned heavily on his starting five (Chris Paul, Redick, Dudley, Blake Griffin and DeAndre Jordan) and with good reason — that group is +7.8 per 48 minutes and plays good defense. If the Clippers sub Crawford in for Dudley with the other four the same they out score opponents by 10 points per 48. But after that things tart to drop off fast, particularly on the defensive end. Depth has been an issue for the Clippers this season and it’s about to get tested in the backcourt (although the frontcourt depth has been the bigger problem).
Doc Rivers’ rotations and the Clippers are about to get a real test to their early season success.
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 5
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 12
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 13
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 10
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 48
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 13
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 22
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 61