Nov 30, 2013, 9:30 AM EDT
The Knicks battled back from a 10-point fourth quarter deficit in Denver on Friday, and had a chance to send the game into overtime in the final possession of regulation.
Carmelo Anthony waived off the screen and went to an isolation set against Randy Foye, and given the fact that Anthony had a good four-inch height advantage over his defender, backing him down and then turning for the fadeaway didn’t seem like a terrible idea.
But Foye rose to the occasion quite literally, getting a piece of Anthony’s shot and the result was a 97-95 win for the Nuggets that sent New York to its eighth straight loss.
“I didn’t get it done,’’ Anthony said in a rare moment of taking full blame for a loss. “That’s it. My teammates did a great job of getting us in that position, giving me a chance to tie a game or go for the win. I didn’t pull through tonight. I’ll take that one.’’ …
“Once I looked and saw I had a smaller guy on me, my thing was just to shoot over him. I know what I wanted to do and the spot I wanted to get to. It just didn’t happen. I didn’t complete the mission today.’’
The Knicks are 3-12 on the season, and in the West that might be too big of a hole to overcome in terms of being able to string together enough wins to earn a spot in the playoffs.
But the East is so dreadful that despite the horrific start, New York finds itself just three games out of first place in the Atlantic Division, currently led by a Raptors team that owns a record of 6-9.
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 3
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 8
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 47
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48