Nov 30, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
UPDATE 7:14 p.m.: Paul Pierce is now officially out Saturday against the Grizzlies.
3:30 p. m.: Injuries have been the story do far this season for the Brooklyn Nets, a team many expected to be legitimate contenders in the Eastern Conference.
The latest one is to Paul Pierce, who isn’t expected to play when the Nets face the Grizzlies in Memphis on Saturday.
Brooklyn Nets small forward Paul Pierce has been listed as doubtful for Saturday night’s game in Memphis due to a bruised right hand, the team announced.
Pierce is shooting just 31.1 percent in his past 11 games, including 23.8 percent from 3-point range.
Alan Anderson will likely get the start if Pierce can’t play.
Deron Williams, Jason Terry, and Andrei Kirilenko remain sidelined due to various ailments. Kevin Garnett, who sat out Friday night’s loss in Houston just to rest, is expected to return to the lineup.
Pierce played less than 15 minutes in Brooklyn’s latest loss, an embarrassing one given the lack of effort shown from the opening tip. Jason Kidd benched four of his five starters to start the second half save for Brook Lopez, who returned after missing the last seven of his team’s games due to injury.
The constant lineup shuffling that’s plaguing the Nets in the early part of the season is the same thing the Lakers went through last year after their so-called super-team was similarly assembled. It’s impossible to get a new system in place with new key players and a new head coach if the players available are constantly changing on a game-to-game basis.
Brooklyn hoped that its projected starting lineup of Deron Williams, Joe Johnson, Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett and Brook Lopez would be tough for most teams to deal with. Now, the team simply would settle for the opportunity to see if that might be the case.
- USA Basketball announces 12 man roster for World Cup; Parsons, Hayward, Lillard, Korver cut 13
- USA Basketball cruises to exhibition win over Puerto Rico with final roster cuts looming 1
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 79
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20