Nov 30, 2013, 3:30 PM EST
UPDATE 7:14 p.m.: Paul Pierce is now officially out Saturday against the Grizzlies.
3:30 p. m.: Injuries have been the story do far this season for the Brooklyn Nets, a team many expected to be legitimate contenders in the Eastern Conference.
The latest one is to Paul Pierce, who isn’t expected to play when the Nets face the Grizzlies in Memphis on Saturday.
Brooklyn Nets small forward Paul Pierce has been listed as doubtful for Saturday night’s game in Memphis due to a bruised right hand, the team announced.
Pierce is shooting just 31.1 percent in his past 11 games, including 23.8 percent from 3-point range.
Alan Anderson will likely get the start if Pierce can’t play.
Deron Williams, Jason Terry, and Andrei Kirilenko remain sidelined due to various ailments. Kevin Garnett, who sat out Friday night’s loss in Houston just to rest, is expected to return to the lineup.
Pierce played less than 15 minutes in Brooklyn’s latest loss, an embarrassing one given the lack of effort shown from the opening tip. Jason Kidd benched four of his five starters to start the second half save for Brook Lopez, who returned after missing the last seven of his team’s games due to injury.
The constant lineup shuffling that’s plaguing the Nets in the early part of the season is the same thing the Lakers went through last year after their so-called super-team was similarly assembled. It’s impossible to get a new system in place with new key players and a new head coach if the players available are constantly changing on a game-to-game basis.
Brooklyn hoped that its projected starting lineup of Deron Williams, Joe Johnson, Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett and Brook Lopez would be tough for most teams to deal with. Now, the team simply would settle for the opportunity to see if that might be the case.
- PBT’s Weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks continue to fly high 0
- Kobe Bryant wanted to sign with Michael Jordan’s Wizards 1
- Pau Gasol’s trade tip put his and Marc Gasol’s All-Star futures in motion 0
- Reports: Kings at Knicks, Trail Blazers at Nets games Monday postponed due to coming storm 4
- Did win over Lakers break Rockets out of their defensive slump? 8
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Thunder don’t look like playoff team yet 24
- Report: Hornets, Nets talking possible Lance Stephenson for Joe Johnson trade 9
- Hassan Whiteside posts 14-point, 13-rebound, 12-block triple-double in Heat win over Bulls (VIDEO) 33