Nov 30, 2013, 2:00 PM EST
Last season the Knicks age — the oldest team in NBA history on average roster age — was an easy punch line. It wasn’t really fair as they were not as old once you compensated for the age of the rotations they played, plus the old guys won 54 games and won the first Nets playoff series in decade.
This season the Knicks got a little younger and… it hasn’t been pretty.
“That makeup of the team was different [last year],’’ said Anthony, who lost another homecoming game in Denver. “With J-Kidd, he was a leader in his own right. He wasn’t a vocal leader like a Rasheed [Wallace] or Kurt Thomas. He was leader by example on the court. His hard work, his play, everyone fed off that. And everyone led in their own way. Now we do miss that — J-Kidd, Kurt, Kurt and Rasheed. Last year as a team we were more synchronized than right now due to chemistry, due to having fun, due to just having one another’s back.’’
Last season’s Knicks battled injuries too — Tyson Chandler missed 16 games, Anthony 15, Raymond Felton 14 — but due to the team’s fast start to the season they had some cushion, plus they kept winning when guys like Pablo Prigioni had to take on more minutes. Old or not the depth helped them last season.
This season’s Knicks are now 3-12 to start the season and are going to have to dig out of a hole just to make the playoffs. Even in the East. They have a bottom 10 offense and defense so far. They are going to need a run of good play and that’s not likely to happen until Chandler gets back and J.R. Smith finds some kind of offensive groove — Carmelo Anthony is trying to carry this team right now but he can only get them so far. He needs help.
Which comes back to the health and depth issues.
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 0
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 7
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 6
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 42
- Kevin Durant turns ankle, leaves game not to return; X-rays negative. 4
- Report: Celtics ‘pretty pleased’ with return they got in trade for Rajon Rondo 31
- PBT Extra: Jabari Parker’s injury, what does it mean for Bucks, Rookie of Year race? 5
- Reports: Celtics agree to trade Rajon Rondo to Dallas Mavericks 39