Nov 29, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
For struggling NBA teams (and even some not-so-bad ones) it’s pretty common to see them sell the opponent coming to town. “Come see Kobe Bryant while you still can” or “Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook and the high-flying Thunder are coming to town” is a pretty common pitch.
Let me make the obvious point here — the Timberwolves are really fun and a good team. Kevin Love, Ricky Rubio, Kevin Martin — this is a team I like to watch play on League Pass and will go to when they come to my town. People will pay to see them.
Yes, they are 8-9 to start the season but the Timberwolves have been a bit unlucky — their expected win-loss based on their point per possession differential is 11-6. Three game swing. Those kinds of things tend to correct themselves over the course of the season, Minnesota will eventually get some lucky wins. However, things could start to look worse over the next week with the Mavericks, Thunder, Spurs and Heat as the next four games.
Maybe you do need to sell the Heat a little.
- Old tweets: Kevin Durant uses gay slurs (including at Russell Westbrook), Damian Lillard rips LeBron James 15
- Wednesday night’s NBA winners, losers: Chris Bosh wants you to know he is a No. 1 option 14
- Rajon Rondo leads Celtics to rout of Nets. How much does it mean? 8
- Bulls cruise to 24-point opening night win over Knicks 13
- Lakers’ rookie Julius Randle has surgery to repair fractured tibia, out for season 16
- Anthony Davis has zero chance of winning MVP this season 38
- Dwight Howard says he wants to move on from Kobe, Lakers. Actions show feud going strong. 48
- NBA Opening Night Winners/Losers: Big nights for The Beard and The Brow 27