Nov 29, 2013, 11:15 PM EDT
The Thunder and the Warriors played an exciting and competitive game on Friday that required an overtime period for the contest to be decided.
The extra session wasn’t pretty overall, with plenty of possessions ending with a poor shot selection and with both teams combining to shoot just 5-of-17 over the game’s final five minutes.
But the final possession was a thing of beauty for the Thunder, as Russell Westbrook finished off a wild sequence with a three-pointer from the corner to give his team the hard-fought 113-112 victory.
The final play ended like this: Serge Ibaka missed a jumper from about 15 feet out, Westbrook got a hand on the rebound, Thabo Sefolosha saved the ball from going out of bounds, where it ended up back in Westbrook’s hands near the three-point line.
Knowing the limited time remaining, Westbrook spun, fired and drained the three with only a tenth of a second remaining on the clock. Harrison Barnes was right there in position to contest the shot, but for some reason it didn’t appear to occur to him that Westbrook would be shooting in that situation, so his eventual reaction was far too late to bother shot.
Westbrook finished with a game-high 34 points to go along with seven assists and five steals, and Stephen Curry finished with 32 points, 11 rebounds and five assists to pace the Warriors.
This was a fun game between two athletic teams that can get up and down the floor and score at a high level. A playoff series between them would be a dream, but for now we’ll simply savor this one game as a whole, and all of the great plays that led up to Westbrook’s final shot.
- Celtics owner: Rajon Rondo ‘super stubborn,’ harder than average to coach 5
- Bruce Bowen says blame for James Harden’s defense falls on McHale, Rockets 12
- NBA to review domestic violence policies in wake of NFL’s ugliness. It shouldn’t have taken that. 13
- Cavaliers lift ban on fan who ran onto court with LeBron James shirt 16
- Blake Griffin said he knew Donald Sterling was racist, wasn’t really surprised by tape 14
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Chicago Bulls 11
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 18