Nov 29, 2013, 11:15 PM EDT
The Thunder and the Warriors played an exciting and competitive game on Friday that required an overtime period for the contest to be decided.
The extra session wasn’t pretty overall, with plenty of possessions ending with a poor shot selection and with both teams combining to shoot just 5-of-17 over the game’s final five minutes.
But the final possession was a thing of beauty for the Thunder, as Russell Westbrook finished off a wild sequence with a three-pointer from the corner to give his team the hard-fought 113-112 victory.
The final play ended like this: Serge Ibaka missed a jumper from about 15 feet out, Westbrook got a hand on the rebound, Thabo Sefolosha saved the ball from going out of bounds, where it ended up back in Westbrook’s hands near the three-point line.
Knowing the limited time remaining, Westbrook spun, fired and drained the three with only a tenth of a second remaining on the clock. Harrison Barnes was right there in position to contest the shot, but for some reason it didn’t appear to occur to him that Westbrook would be shooting in that situation, so his eventual reaction was far too late to bother shot.
Westbrook finished with a game-high 34 points to go along with seven assists and five steals, and Stephen Curry finished with 32 points, 11 rebounds and five assists to pace the Warriors.
This was a fun game between two athletic teams that can get up and down the floor and score at a high level. A playoff series between them would be a dream, but for now we’ll simply savor this one game as a whole, and all of the great plays that led up to Westbrook’s final shot.
- Ray Allen on making a decision about next season: “I’m not in any rush” 6
- Derrick Rose after first back-to-back in years: “I’m feeling good right now” 2
- Report: Rajon Rondo wants to start season with Celtics, see how things unfold 11
- Rajon Rondo’s agent denies they asked Celtics for a trade 14
- Team USA trails at the half, then pulls away for 98-77 win over Turkey at FIBA World Cup 19
- Report: Nike nearing deal to keep Kevin Durant for next 10 years 22
- Report: Rajon Rondo has told Celtics ‘he wants out’ 68
- World Cup Day 1 roundup: Brazil with big win, Andray Blatche puts on a show 6