Nov 29, 2013, 11:15 PM EDT
The Thunder and the Warriors played an exciting and competitive game on Friday that required an overtime period for the contest to be decided.
The extra session wasn’t pretty overall, with plenty of possessions ending with a poor shot selection and with both teams combining to shoot just 5-of-17 over the game’s final five minutes.
But the final possession was a thing of beauty for the Thunder, as Russell Westbrook finished off a wild sequence with a three-pointer from the corner to give his team the hard-fought 113-112 victory.
The final play ended like this: Serge Ibaka missed a jumper from about 15 feet out, Westbrook got a hand on the rebound, Thabo Sefolosha saved the ball from going out of bounds, where it ended up back in Westbrook’s hands near the three-point line.
Knowing the limited time remaining, Westbrook spun, fired and drained the three with only a tenth of a second remaining on the clock. Harrison Barnes was right there in position to contest the shot, but for some reason it didn’t appear to occur to him that Westbrook would be shooting in that situation, so his eventual reaction was far too late to bother shot.
Westbrook finished with a game-high 34 points to go along with seven assists and five steals, and Stephen Curry finished with 32 points, 11 rebounds and five assists to pace the Warriors.
This was a fun game between two athletic teams that can get up and down the floor and score at a high level. A playoff series between them would be a dream, but for now we’ll simply savor this one game as a whole, and all of the great plays that led up to Westbrook’s final shot.
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Miami Heat 5
- Mike Miller points to him being amnestied as start of LeBron James leaving Miami 11
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 14
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5
- Morris twins sign four-year extensions with Suns 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Washington Wizards 3
- Rockets’ Daryl Morey fires back at Mark Cuban: If you care about chemistry, why break up a title team? 36