Nov 29, 2013, 8:00 PM EDT
Yes, the Houston Rockets are looking to trade Omer Asik and they almost certainly will before the trade deadline.
However it’s likely not happening soon because the difference between what the Rockets see as his value and other teams are willing to give up for him are not in the same zip code. It’s basically the same argument you and your girlfriend have over the value of designer handbags.
CBSSports.com’s Ken Berger has Asik on top of his Black Friday “most likely to get traded” list but added this note about the idea.
The limiting factor, of course, is that while Asik counts only $8.4 million against the cap/tax, his actual salary next season is $15 million. Given those constraints and Asik’s sad-sack demeanor, one rival GM described the Rockets as “delusional” as far as their asking price for him.
We know that the Rockets are asking for an “impact player” (define “impact” however you choose, it’s pretty vague) or a draft pick in the 2014 lottery (good luck). By the way, forget that Ryan Anderson rumor, it’s not happening.
There are a few market factors at play here:
• When word gets out that a player has asked for a trade the team with his rights loses some leverage and the first offers that come in tend to be lowball/ridiculous offers.
• The Rockets think they are trading the guy who averaged a double-double last season and is a quality defensive big man, something hard to find in the league.
• Both sides think if they are patent the other side will come to their senses and more reasonable offers will can be discussed.
And that last one is sort of what happens — the Rockets will be willing to settle a little, meanwhile another team will understand that a quality big men is not something you can just pick up at Sears. They will meet in the middle and get a deal done.
Just don’t expect it in the near future. Asik is back in the rotation (he played more than 20 minutes in a Rockets game this week) so the Rockets will let this play out for a while. Maybe all the way to the trade deadline.
Jul 26, 2014, 12:01 AM EDT
Players asked Adam Silver for for an extended break when he first took office. He seems to be listening.
Jul 25, 2014, 10:46 PM EDT
Anthony reportedly strongly considered the Lakers too, but he says that wasn’t really the case.
Jul 25, 2014, 9:45 PM EDT
The union for the players continues to struggle to get some competent leadership in place.
Jul 25, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT
Come on, son.
Jul 25, 2014, 7:45 PM EDT
Joakim Noah continues to be brutally honest when speaking about his team’s competition.
Jul 25, 2014, 6:46 PM EDT
The Andrew Wiggins spin and dunk is a thing of beauty.
Jul 25, 2014, 5:59 PM EDT
Casspi ends up back with the Kings on a minimum salary deal.
Jul 25, 2014, 5:14 PM EDT
He is a solid backup to have while Dennis Schroder develops.
Jul 25, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT
Magic rookie shows off handles
Jul 25, 2014, 3:44 PM EDT
Will Cherry was fun to watch at Las Vegas Summer League.
Jul 25, 2014, 3:05 PM EDT
George Karl is a better coach than Byron Scott
Jul 25, 2014, 2:22 PM EDT
Finally. Job has been vacant since April 30.
Jul 25, 2014, 1:44 PM EDT
Knicks’ record last season: 37-45
Melo’s contract value: $124,064,681
Jul 25, 2014, 1:11 PM EDT
Bulls also must make room for Nikola Mirotic in frontcourt
Jul 25, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
Dirk Nowitzki presents a big strike zone.
Jul 25, 2014, 11:51 AM EDT
Former Bull and Piston sat out last season
Jul 25, 2014, 11:11 AM EDT
New TV deal expected to drastically increase revenue
Jul 25, 2014, 10:33 AM EDT
Not a Cleveland Cavaliers beat reporter. A LeBron James beat reporter.
Jul 25, 2014, 9:55 AM EDT
Rookie big man has been mentioned in Kevin Love trade rumors
Jul 25, 2014, 9:22 AM EDT
Timberwolves reportedly come to their senses, prefer Andrew Wiggins to Klay Thompson
- Report: NBA considering week-long break for All-Star Game next year 0
- Report: Knicks made (ridiculous) offer to trade for Kevin Love 31
- Report: Lakers finally offer coaching position to Byron Scott, deal expected soon 24
- Report: Cavaliers leading Kevin Love-trade sweepstakes 41
- Chris Paul on boycott if Sterling is still owner: “That’s something me and Doc are both talking about” 31
- Players union approves of Thunder’s Josh Huestis arrangement 16
- Cavaliers officially sign Andrew Wiggins, putting 30-day hold on him being traded 58
- Lakers deny rumor they are waiting around for Doc Rivers to be coach 61