Nov 29, 2013, 8:00 PM EDT
Yes, the Houston Rockets are looking to trade Omer Asik and they almost certainly will before the trade deadline.
However it’s likely not happening soon because the difference between what the Rockets see as his value and other teams are willing to give up for him are not in the same zip code. It’s basically the same argument you and your girlfriend have over the value of designer handbags.
CBSSports.com’s Ken Berger has Asik on top of his Black Friday “most likely to get traded” list but added this note about the idea.
The limiting factor, of course, is that while Asik counts only $8.4 million against the cap/tax, his actual salary next season is $15 million. Given those constraints and Asik’s sad-sack demeanor, one rival GM described the Rockets as “delusional” as far as their asking price for him.
We know that the Rockets are asking for an “impact player” (define “impact” however you choose, it’s pretty vague) or a draft pick in the 2014 lottery (good luck). By the way, forget that Ryan Anderson rumor, it’s not happening.
There are a few market factors at play here:
• When word gets out that a player has asked for a trade the team with his rights loses some leverage and the first offers that come in tend to be lowball/ridiculous offers.
• The Rockets think they are trading the guy who averaged a double-double last season and is a quality defensive big man, something hard to find in the league.
• Both sides think if they are patent the other side will come to their senses and more reasonable offers will can be discussed.
And that last one is sort of what happens — the Rockets will be willing to settle a little, meanwhile another team will understand that a quality big men is not something you can just pick up at Sears. They will meet in the middle and get a deal done.
Just don’t expect it in the near future. Asik is back in the rotation (he played more than 20 minutes in a Rockets game this week) so the Rockets will let this play out for a while. Maybe all the way to the trade deadline.
Sep 17, 2014, 12:14 AM EDT
Well, it’s better than his golf swing.
Sep 16, 2014, 10:45 PM EDT
There haven’t been many better.
Sep 16, 2014, 8:33 PM EDT
Germany qualifying for the Olympics, even with Nowitzki, is an uphill battle.
Sep 16, 2014, 7:23 PM EDT
It seems fitting.
Sep 16, 2014, 5:59 PM EDT
Guaranteed Duncan likes this better than another trip to the All-Star Game.
Sep 16, 2014, 5:20 PM EDT
Half his salary the first year is guaranteed, a sign he is expected to make the final roster.
Sep 16, 2014, 4:40 PM EDT
We’re sorry to do this to you.
Sep 16, 2014, 4:19 PM EDT
The guaranteed deal is huge but the Wolves are deep at the three. He’ll struggle to get minutes.
Sep 16, 2014, 3:17 PM EDT
Orlando also announces signing of Peyton Siva
Sep 16, 2014, 2:33 PM EDT
Stojakovic’s 3-point bombing made Sacramento better for quite some time
Sep 16, 2014, 1:50 PM EDT
Kirilenko played by far career-low 19 minutes per game last season
Sep 16, 2014, 1:11 PM EDT
Will the Suns take advantage?
Sep 16, 2014, 12:33 PM EDT
Mavericks star could help Germany qualify for 2016 Olympics
Sep 16, 2014, 11:44 AM EDT
No. 1 and No. 2 picks in the NBA draft square off against each other, expectations
Sep 16, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
Williams, who plays both forward positions, now favorite to replace Josh McRoberts in starting lineup
Sep 16, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT
Plenty of changes, but enough to make the playoffs?
Sep 16, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
San Antonio already has 17 players, qualifying offer out to Baynes
Sep 16, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Bill Duffy: ‘Klay Thompson right now is the top two-way, two-guard in basketball’
Sep 16, 2014, 8:30 AM EDT
Deron Williams opening the season healthy would be huge… but just the start of what they need from him.
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 5
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 10
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 47
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 29
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 29
- PBT Extra: What players looked good at World Cup? 4
- Time for FIBA/NBA to adopt soccer model: Only one major tournament every four years 16
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Brooklyn Nets 3