Nov 29, 2013, 8:00 PM EST
Yes, the Houston Rockets are looking to trade Omer Asik and they almost certainly will before the trade deadline.
However it’s likely not happening soon because the difference between what the Rockets see as his value and other teams are willing to give up for him are not in the same zip code. It’s basically the same argument you and your girlfriend have over the value of designer handbags.
CBSSports.com’s Ken Berger has Asik on top of his Black Friday “most likely to get traded” list but added this note about the idea.
The limiting factor, of course, is that while Asik counts only $8.4 million against the cap/tax, his actual salary next season is $15 million. Given those constraints and Asik’s sad-sack demeanor, one rival GM described the Rockets as “delusional” as far as their asking price for him.
We know that the Rockets are asking for an “impact player” (define “impact” however you choose, it’s pretty vague) or a draft pick in the 2014 lottery (good luck). By the way, forget that Ryan Anderson rumor, it’s not happening.
There are a few market factors at play here:
• When word gets out that a player has asked for a trade the team with his rights loses some leverage and the first offers that come in tend to be lowball/ridiculous offers.
• The Rockets think they are trading the guy who averaged a double-double last season and is a quality defensive big man, something hard to find in the league.
• Both sides think if they are patent the other side will come to their senses and more reasonable offers will can be discussed.
And that last one is sort of what happens — the Rockets will be willing to settle a little, meanwhile another team will understand that a quality big men is not something you can just pick up at Sears. They will meet in the middle and get a deal done.
Just don’t expect it in the near future. Asik is back in the rotation (he played more than 20 minutes in a Rockets game this week) so the Rockets will let this play out for a while. Maybe all the way to the trade deadline.
Mar 1, 2015, 10:36 PM EST
They played like MVP candidates.
Mar 1, 2015, 8:59 PM EST
Harden got a technical foul for this.
Mar 1, 2015, 7:30 PM EST
As in six weeks left in the season.
Mar 1, 2015, 6:00 PM EST
Jordan shot 12 free throws against the Bulls.
Mar 1, 2015, 4:30 PM EST
The deadline for McGee to be waived in order to be eligible to join another team for the playoffs is midnight Sunday.
Mar 1, 2015, 3:31 PM EST
Another hit to Chicago’s roster.
Mar 1, 2015, 2:30 PM EST
Silver talked about the league one day sharing injury data at the MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference.
Mar 1, 2015, 1:00 PM EST
Mar 1, 2015, 11:30 AM EST
A look at upcoming retro releases of the Jordan VIII, Jordan 1, Jordan XIV Low, and the Jordan VII.
Mar 1, 2015, 10:00 AM EST
Odd timing, only because fans in Phoenix have historically shown up for games against San Antonio and Los Angeles.
Mar 1, 2015, 8:33 AM EST
Beasley throws one down in his second game back with the Heat.
Mar 1, 2015, 12:22 AM EST
He will be missed.
Feb 28, 2015, 11:00 PM EST
Warriors general manager supports idea
Feb 28, 2015, 9:30 PM EST
Howard has missed the last 14 games.
Feb 28, 2015, 8:04 PM EST
He will sit out Sunday vs. Boston.
Feb 28, 2015, 6:30 PM EST
Tom Thibodeau says Rose’s rehab plan is already mapped out.
Feb 28, 2015, 4:47 PM EST
Westbrook suffered the injury last night against the Blazers.
Feb 28, 2015, 4:00 PM EST
Rockets general manager says he recommended trading ‘everything’ for Harden in 2012
Feb 28, 2015, 2:30 PM EST
What else would he say?
Feb 28, 2015, 1:00 PM EST
He was beloved by former teammates.
- Report: Sixers engaged in buyout talks with JaVale McGee 14
- Bulls’ Jimmy Butler leaves with elbow injury, does not return (VIDEO) 0
- Adam Silver says data may prove Gregg Popovich right in terms of resting multiple players 7
- Rockets general manager Daryl Morey proposes loosening NBA trade rules 6
- Derrick Rose starts rehab, in “good spirits” after knee surgery 11
- Russell Westbrook undergoes procedure to address cheek fracture, will be re-evaluated next week 6
- Russell Westbrook takes knee to face, it leaves dent (VIDEO) 15
- Former All-Star, popular Knick Anthony Mason dies at age 48 16