Nov 29, 2013, 8:00 PM EDT
Yes, the Houston Rockets are looking to trade Omer Asik and they almost certainly will before the trade deadline.
However it’s likely not happening soon because the difference between what the Rockets see as his value and other teams are willing to give up for him are not in the same zip code. It’s basically the same argument you and your girlfriend have over the value of designer handbags.
CBSSports.com’s Ken Berger has Asik on top of his Black Friday “most likely to get traded” list but added this note about the idea.
The limiting factor, of course, is that while Asik counts only $8.4 million against the cap/tax, his actual salary next season is $15 million. Given those constraints and Asik’s sad-sack demeanor, one rival GM described the Rockets as “delusional” as far as their asking price for him.
We know that the Rockets are asking for an “impact player” (define “impact” however you choose, it’s pretty vague) or a draft pick in the 2014 lottery (good luck). By the way, forget that Ryan Anderson rumor, it’s not happening.
There are a few market factors at play here:
• When word gets out that a player has asked for a trade the team with his rights loses some leverage and the first offers that come in tend to be lowball/ridiculous offers.
• The Rockets think they are trading the guy who averaged a double-double last season and is a quality defensive big man, something hard to find in the league.
• Both sides think if they are patent the other side will come to their senses and more reasonable offers will can be discussed.
And that last one is sort of what happens — the Rockets will be willing to settle a little, meanwhile another team will understand that a quality big men is not something you can just pick up at Sears. They will meet in the middle and get a deal done.
Just don’t expect it in the near future. Asik is back in the rotation (he played more than 20 minutes in a Rockets game this week) so the Rockets will let this play out for a while. Maybe all the way to the trade deadline.
Aug 31, 2015, 7:15 PM EDT
Charlie Westbrook reportedly signs with Bucks
Aug 31, 2015, 6:15 PM EDT
The Clippers add more depth. It’s been a good offseason for Doc Rivers.
Aug 31, 2015, 5:35 PM EDT
He is a very good pick-and-roll guard with great court vision.
Aug 31, 2015, 5:02 PM EDT
The Suns have no leverage now even if they wanted to move him, and apparently they don’t.
Aug 31, 2015, 4:25 PM EDT
You don’t even need to pump up his sneakers
Aug 31, 2015, 3:27 PM EDT
Cleveland can watch Pointer develop without having to pay him
Aug 31, 2015, 2:26 PM EDT
Mike Clarkson says son committed to Lakers
Aug 31, 2015, 1:33 PM EDT
Don’t expect him to make the regular-season roster this season
Aug 31, 2015, 12:43 PM EDT
Could Lakers wing play in the 2016 Olympics?
Report: Tristan Thompson won’t accept less than max from Cavaliers, his agent thinks Raptors will offer it next summer
Aug 31, 2015, 11:43 AM EDT
Thompson might leverage the max from Cleveland, but it probably shouldn’t be because of this Toronto threat
Aug 31, 2015, 10:26 AM EDT
By dropping an NBA draft pick, Canadians show how far they’ve come
Aug 31, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT
Utah now has 20 players
Aug 31, 2015, 8:30 AM EDT
This would have been fun to attend.
Aug 31, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
He’s a long shot to make a roster.
Aug 30, 2015, 10:16 PM EDT
Al-Farouq Aminu is headed back to the Olympics.
Aug 30, 2015, 9:39 PM EDT
There is no signed deal yet.
Aug 30, 2015, 9:02 PM EDT
Shaq said Phil Jackson was fair with them.
Aug 30, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT
We’ll all look back at the McCallum trade and say “it’s the Spurs doing Spurs things again.”
Aug 30, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
He will be missed.
Aug 30, 2015, 3:30 PM EDT
Can Johnson take on the backup point guard role if Chalmers was moved?
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 2
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 3
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 19
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4