Nov 29, 2013, 8:00 PM EDT
Yes, the Houston Rockets are looking to trade Omer Asik and they almost certainly will before the trade deadline.
However it’s likely not happening soon because the difference between what the Rockets see as his value and other teams are willing to give up for him are not in the same zip code. It’s basically the same argument you and your girlfriend have over the value of designer handbags.
CBSSports.com’s Ken Berger has Asik on top of his Black Friday “most likely to get traded” list but added this note about the idea.
The limiting factor, of course, is that while Asik counts only $8.4 million against the cap/tax, his actual salary next season is $15 million. Given those constraints and Asik’s sad-sack demeanor, one rival GM described the Rockets as “delusional” as far as their asking price for him.
We know that the Rockets are asking for an “impact player” (define “impact” however you choose, it’s pretty vague) or a draft pick in the 2014 lottery (good luck). By the way, forget that Ryan Anderson rumor, it’s not happening.
There are a few market factors at play here:
• When word gets out that a player has asked for a trade the team with his rights loses some leverage and the first offers that come in tend to be lowball/ridiculous offers.
• The Rockets think they are trading the guy who averaged a double-double last season and is a quality defensive big man, something hard to find in the league.
• Both sides think if they are patent the other side will come to their senses and more reasonable offers will can be discussed.
And that last one is sort of what happens — the Rockets will be willing to settle a little, meanwhile another team will understand that a quality big men is not something you can just pick up at Sears. They will meet in the middle and get a deal done.
Just don’t expect it in the near future. Asik is back in the rotation (he played more than 20 minutes in a Rockets game this week) so the Rockets will let this play out for a while. Maybe all the way to the trade deadline.
Aug 4, 2015, 8:34 AM EDT
Even if he could sign an extension, he wouldn’t.
Aug 4, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
The Morris twins have denied any involvement, or even knowing the victim.
Aug 4, 2015, 1:05 AM EDT
Thinking long-term is the smart approach, the only one the Mavericks should consider
Aug 3, 2015, 11:17 PM EDT
Kobe Bryant is Beatles during the British Invasion level popular in China.
Aug 3, 2015, 9:59 PM EDT
Brooklyn could have easily kept Clark through training camp
Aug 3, 2015, 9:03 PM EDT
Pacers star maintains status as lock for 2016 Olympic roster – if he wants to play
Aug 3, 2015, 8:16 PM EDT
Trayce Thompson gives Thompson family yet another professional athlete
Aug 3, 2015, 7:25 PM EDT
That’ll keep him a viable candidate for 2016 Olympic roster
Aug 3, 2015, 6:33 PM EDT
…with one exception
Aug 3, 2015, 5:36 PM EDT
Dallas loading up on players. What will roster look like in November?
Aug 3, 2015, 3:58 PM EDT
Will new Sacramento assistant coach improve Cousins’ relationship with George Karl?
Aug 3, 2015, 3:04 PM EDT
Does Melo fit in New York?
Aug 3, 2015, 2:08 PM EDT
NBA teams played 70 four-in-fives last season
Aug 3, 2015, 12:50 PM EDT
“I didn’t miss it. I realized how much time I missed not being home with my kids.” —Ray Allen on last season
Aug 3, 2015, 11:44 AM EDT
Nike may well match.
Aug 3, 2015, 11:10 AM EDT
Denver has until Oct. 4 to make a decision.
Aug 3, 2015, 9:55 AM EDT
The Kings were never a likely landing spot.
Aug 3, 2015, 9:15 AM EDT
We bring you this, because it’s August.
Aug 3, 2015, 8:30 AM EDT
What will J.P. Tokoto, future Philadelphia second-rounders think of McRae’s contract?
Aug 3, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
The Timberwolves roster doesn’t have a lot of quality three point shooters on it.
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 11
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 22
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 16
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 4
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9