Nov 29, 2013, 9:29 AM EDT
The sooner the better for Memphis.
The trend right now among NBA teams is to say a guy is out “indefinitely” with an injury and not give a timetable. (Unless you’re the Knicks, then every injury is day-to-day, even when it’s not.) You can thank Derrick Rose for that, nobody wants to give the impression a key player will be back sooner than he will be ready.
The other way to get around that is to give an extended timetable then have said player beat it. Which brings us to the Memphis Grizzlies.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $40,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Friday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $6,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Friday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
As noted, the sooner the better for Memphis — in a deep Western Conference every extra loss now is one that could knock a team a seed or three down the playoff ladder (there were four games separating the No. 1 and No. 5 seed last season in the West) and that will make a run through the playoffs that much more difficult.
Kosta Kufos has played solidly in his absence, but he is no Gasol, particularly on the defensive end where Gasol’s smart reads and rotations anchor what has been one of the most stout defenses in the league.
The good news for Memphis is that Gasol’s game is not based on his explosive athleticism — he should be able to be his old self pretty soon upon return. It’s going to take a few games for the shooting touch and passing feel to return, but he’s not going to have to wait for his ability to blow by guys with his crossover to come back for him to be effective.
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 1
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 27
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 24
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Kevin Love seems to be fitting in just fine suddenly 4
- It’s official: Dwight Howard will return to Rockets’ lineup Wednesday 2
- Dwyane Wade on MVP race: “I would say James Harden” 26