Nov 29, 2013, 8:45 PM EDT
If you have a really clever idea to get your team a timeout at the end of a game — say for example having your player run into you so you spill your drink on the court — save it for a late season or playoff game when it matters, don’t waste it in November.
That’s not what Jason Kidd took away from his little move of having Tyshawn Taylor run into him (you can see Kidd mouth the words “hit me”) then spilling his coke on the floor, giving him a defacto timeout to draw up one last play against the Lakers to try and tie the game (a Paul Pierce shot off a Kevin Garnett screen, a shot PP missed).
What Kidd did take away a $50,000 fine from the league.
After that he sounded semi-remorseful about the incident, speaking with reporters before the Nets game against the Rockets Friday night, as brought to us via ESPN.
“Paul [Pierce] got a great look, but the league fined me for something that I probably shouldn’t have done,” he said. “We’ll move on….
“It’s about trying to win and those guys in that locker room, and I tried to put those guys in a position to get a basket, a good look and we did,” he said.
What’s more likely to help the Nets win is getting Brook Lopez back on the court, which happened Friday night after he missed the previous seven games. Lopez is the Nets best player (their defense is much better with him out there, too) and they are going to need him and Deron Williams healthy and playing well to turn around their 4-11 start.
- Victor Oladipo out indefinitely after taking elbow in practice, suffering facial fracture 10
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New Orleans Pelicans 5
- Five teams poised to make a big leap forward this season 4
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 60
- Jeanie Buss: ‘Any free agent that would be afraid to play with Kobe Bryant is probably a loser’ 68
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Memphis Grizzlies 7
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 30
- NBA GMs surveyed predict LeBron will win MVP, Spurs will repeat as champions 31