Nov 29, 2013, 8:45 PM EDT
If you have a really clever idea to get your team a timeout at the end of a game — say for example having your player run into you so you spill your drink on the court — save it for a late season or playoff game when it matters, don’t waste it in November.
That’s not what Jason Kidd took away from his little move of having Tyshawn Taylor run into him (you can see Kidd mouth the words “hit me”) then spilling his coke on the floor, giving him a defacto timeout to draw up one last play against the Lakers to try and tie the game (a Paul Pierce shot off a Kevin Garnett screen, a shot PP missed).
What Kidd did take away a $50,000 fine from the league.
After that he sounded semi-remorseful about the incident, speaking with reporters before the Nets game against the Rockets Friday night, as brought to us via ESPN.
“Paul [Pierce] got a great look, but the league fined me for something that I probably shouldn’t have done,” he said. “We’ll move on….
“It’s about trying to win and those guys in that locker room, and I tried to put those guys in a position to get a basket, a good look and we did,” he said.
What’s more likely to help the Nets win is getting Brook Lopez back on the court, which happened Friday night after he missed the previous seven games. Lopez is the Nets best player (their defense is much better with him out there, too) and they are going to need him and Deron Williams healthy and playing well to turn around their 4-11 start.
- PBT Extra: Five best free agent signings in the first days of free agency 1
- Dwyane Wade agrees to one-year, $20 million deal to stay with Heat 20
- PBT Podcast: Talking best signings of free agency so far 0
- Report: Pacers agree to four-year, $44 million contract with Monta Ellis 22
- Report: Greg Monroe signing a maximum contract with Bucks 56
- Lakers, Knicks struggle on hectic first day of free agency 64
- Trail Blazers assistant coach: ‘We didn’t publicize it, but we lost LaMarcus Aldridge’ 9
- Who is left on the board after wild first day of NBA free agency? 30