With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play
Nov 28, 2013, 12:19 AM EST
This is very clever by Nets coach Jason Kidd. Oh, he’s going to get a healthy fine from the league for this, but it was clever.
The Nets were down two with 8.3 seconds left in the game and the Lakers’ Jodie Meeks was on the free throw line. The Nets were going to get one last shot to at least tie the game up, but Kidd was out of timeouts to draw up a play.
So he walks out to the edge of the court holding a drink, looks at Tyshawn Taylor and you can see him mouth “hit me.” Taylor dutifully does as his coach asks, Kidd spills his drink and there is in essence a timeout while ball boys try to clean up soda from the court.
Kidd tried to sell this as an accident at his postgame press conference (our Brett Pollakoff was at the game and provides the quote).
“The cup slipped out of my hand,” Kidd said. “I was getting tired. Sweaty palms. In the heat of the battle you’re trying to get guys in and out of the game, and the coke fell out of my hand.”
Kidd used the defacto timeout to draw up one last play, which was a Paul Pierce three as he came off a Kevin Garnett screen. The Nets ran the play but as John Lennon told us “instant Karma’s gonna get you” and Pierce missed the shot. The Lakers hung on for the win.
This is reminiscent of when Kidd the player just ran into coach Mike Woodson drawing a technical — there Kidd was the smart veteran drawing the tech on a coach who had stepped on to the court.
Here, he’s going to get fined. The league office isn’t going to let this precedent get set.
Hat tip to TheBrooklynGame.com for the video.
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 7
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 5
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11
- Report: Sixers agree to buyout with JaVale McGee; he can sign with contender 35
- Bulls’ Jimmy Butler leaves with elbow injury, does not return (VIDEO) 0
- Adam Silver says data may prove Gregg Popovich right in terms of resting multiple players 18
- Rockets general manager Daryl Morey proposes loosening NBA trade rules 6
- Derrick Rose starts rehab, in “good spirits” after knee surgery 11