Nov 28, 2013, 2:36 AM EDT
We’re feeling generous so no bad grades out of of action in the NBA on Thanksgiving eve. Here are our grades for the nigh from games you might have missed while trying to smell like DeAndre Jordan…
Goran Dragic, Phoenix Suns. Portland had an 11-game win streak thanks to their offense, but the Blazers defense was vulnerable. Goran Dragic exposed that to the tune 31 points and 11 assists. The Suns fought back from a rough start in the second quarter then pulled away in the third and in those quarters combined Dragic had 25 points on 11 shots, plus 7 assists. When the Suns get Dragic and Eric Bledsoe going at the same time this team should be fun.
(for the effort) Jason Kidd, Brooklyn Nets coach. We did a whole separate post on this — with no timeouts and his team down two (about to be three) with 8.3 seconds left, Kidd stands near the edge of the court holding a Coke and tells Tyshawn Taylor “hit me” which he does, Kidd spills the drink on the court, then while the ball boys clean up the mess Kidd gathers his team and draws up a play. Paul Pierce missed the shot, but nice effort.
Glen Davis, Nikola Vucevic, Orlando Magic. Orlando won this game because they got 52 points in the paint and were better inside, and that was due to the Davis/Vucevic combo — 40 points on 19-of-28 shooting, 21 rebounds and four blocks. That will get it done. If he keeps playing like this and shows he is healthy, Davis is upping his trade value.
Reggie Jackson, Oklahoma City Thunder. Russell Westbrook was just off, 2-of-16 shooting. But Reggie Jackson stepped up with 23 points on 10-of-14 shooting off the bench, providing the spark the Thunder needed to get the win and stop the Spurs 11-game winning streak. Let’s put it that way, after the game Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said, “Reggie Jackson kicked our ass.” Enough said.
Jared Sullinger, Boston Celtics. It was in a losing effort, but Sullinger stood out with 23 points, 12 rebounds and three assists. What matters more is 10 of his points came in the final minutes of the game, leading a furious Celtics comeback that fell just short. Sullinger has become a solid source of production nightly for Boston.
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 26
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 30
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 18
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 14
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 13
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 29
- Shelly Sterling beats Donald Sterling in court, clears sale of Clippers to Steve Ballmer 69
- Report: Timberwolves have talked to Sixers about Thaddeus Young as Kevin Love replacement 26