Jason Kidd fined $50K for intentionally spilling drink on the court to stop play in loss to Lakers

Nov 28, 2013, 7:16 PM EDT

UPDATE 8:45 pm: The NBA league office has confirmed the $50,000 fine for Jason Kidd.

7:16 pm: Jason Kidd used a loophole in the rules to force a stoppage in play late in his team’s loss to the Lakers on Wednesday, and that bit of creativity is going to cost him a fair bit of cash in the form of a fine from the league office.

We saw this coming, and it sends a message that the league doesn’t want its players and especially its coaches gaming the system like this in order to gain an unfair advantage.

It’s worth wondering if Kidd’s post-game comments where he denied any intention, in combination with the video that clearly shows him telling his player to “hit me” before he dropped his drink on the court contributed to the amount of his fine.

“The cup slipped out of my hand,” Kidd said afterward. “I was getting tired. Sweaty palms. … In the heat of the battle you’re trying to get guys in and out of the game, and the coke fell out of my hand.”

Obviously, that was a complete fabrication.

The league’s fines are typically in the $25,000-$35,000 range for the majority of punishable offenses.

1. kghane - Nov 28, 2013 at 7:19 PM

You gotta admit that stunt was clever. Too bad it ended in a loss & a fine. Ha.

2. mimaiheatdynasty - Nov 28, 2013 at 7:20 PM

JKidd will be a great coach sumday. Top five point guard of all time.

• fanofevilempire - Nov 29, 2013 at 11:50 AM

he did the smart thing, 50k for a win no at bad deal, anybody who thinks this was
      wrong is a loser.

knick fan in Brooklyn!

• richardleefine - Nov 29, 2013 at 1:43 PM

50 for a win? in the finals maybe, early regular season? Not so much. And they lost…

3. smackingfools - Nov 28, 2013 at 7:28 PM

Win the right way, Jason.

4. dacapt704 - Nov 28, 2013 at 7:29 PM

The commentators at ESPN and the camera crew amped this up by pointing it out and slowing it down to show the whole act….I’m sure its been done by other coaches but they blew it up. Sometimes I hate watching sports on that network..

• asimonetti88 - Nov 29, 2013 at 12:42 AM

I also hate the four letter network, but they didn’t make this happen. It was obvious in real time, and I can’t remember any other coach doing this.

I personally think it was a smart savvy idea by Kidd, but it’s against the rules and he should be fined.

• abchome - Nov 29, 2013 at 2:04 AM

Yes, it’s really smart but should be discouraged as well.

• dacapt704 - Nov 29, 2013 at 10:52 AM

It wasnt obvious UNTIL they slow-mo replayed it and showed what he said to Taylor…also Mike Fratello said that many coaches have done it before..the reason we never saw it is because the camera crews didnt make a point to show us the whole sequence. Had they not done that, it would just appeared to be a bump into the coach.

Thats all I’m sayin..had it not been a nationally televised game I doubt we’d have known about it or cared. ESPN is full of over the top annoying commentators (see Berman)

• kastout11 - Nov 29, 2013 at 9:10 AM

I cannot stand ESPN. They do it all the time. 50K fine is ridiculous.

• shine94 - Nov 29, 2013 at 10:58 AM

I’m sorry … what did ESPN do? … they showed a video … they didn’t tell Kidd to drop his drink on the ground … he tried to be clever and got caught doing it … period

5. pbtunpaidwriter - Nov 28, 2013 at 8:15 PM

It’s so obvious he did it on purpose regardless of what he says. He even makes eye contact with Tyshawn Taylor when he clearly said “hit me.” Cameras are everywhere!

Come on J-Kidd I thought you were better than that.

• richardleefine - Nov 29, 2013 at 1:50 PM

You thought Kidd was better than spilling water to freeze a shooter? How about when he was busy beating his wife a few years back?

• asimonetti88 - Nov 29, 2013 at 2:37 PM

or drunk driving into a telephone pole

6. dannymac17 - Nov 28, 2013 at 8:16 PM

The NBA also has chosen to punish the Nets franchise by making Jason Kidd coach more games.

7. timberwolvesbrisin - Nov 28, 2013 at 8:38 PM

Here’s an idea: He should do it again and get suspended. Then they’ll really have a chance to win.

8. 22yearsagotoday - Nov 28, 2013 at 8:54 PM

As long as it wasn’t vodka, the owner will let it slide.

9. monkeyhateclean - Nov 28, 2013 at 9:09 PM

Those who can, do.

Those who cannot, coach.

As a player, Kidd is borderline HOF. But NO one should vote for him if he continues to coach these losers and try calling them a starting 5. His team: his legacy. Sorry, them’s the breaks. And Brooklyn is about as broke as any team in the L. Meager talent, no leadership, just shiatty unis from the talentless clown JZ who at least had the sense to realize what a jacked team he bought into, and sold out.

Truth to Power: Everyone should sell-out on Brooklyn, then nuke that shiat from orbit. Word.

• genericcommenter - Nov 28, 2013 at 9:20 PM

He’s not borderline. He’s a sure HOFer. 17,000 pts, 12,000 assists. As a point guard, he even ranks in the top 50 in NBA history in rebounds. 2nd all-time in steals and assists. 30th in Win Shares. Took teams deep into playoffs multiple times and won a title.

• asimonetti88 - Nov 29, 2013 at 12:47 AM

Yeah, that’s why great players like Jerry Sloan, Pat Riley, Lenny Wilkens, Bill Russell, Phil Jackson and Byron Scott were such terrible coaches.

10. ufools - Nov 28, 2013 at 9:18 PM

He lies about like he coaches so far…..

11. homergreenz - Nov 28, 2013 at 9:38 PM

Lawrence Frank’s facial expression is awesome. He can’t believe that his clown of a boss actually went through with this stunt.

The Nets Unintentional Tank Job is one of my favorite things about the league this season.

• homergreenz - Nov 29, 2013 at 10:49 AM

LOL I just watched it again. Frank is STARING in disbelief…So awesome.

12. jaypace - Nov 28, 2013 at 10:43 PM

Borderline hall of fame? Do you watch basketball?

13. iangas33 - Nov 28, 2013 at 11:14 PM

Heatdynasty is having some issues with the English language up top there

14. j0esixpack - Nov 28, 2013 at 11:24 PM

I was actually thought that Kidd and the current lineup of Nets had a fair chance of being pretty good.

But thus far they look a bit like a joke.

As a Celtics fan I have a vested interest in watching them implode as Ainge has their 2014 first round pick as well as about a half decade worth of others – and yet, I’m still kindof pulling for them all to turn things around and end this embarrassment.

15. Gordon - Nov 28, 2013 at 11:56 PM

This guy is an embarrassment.

16. dougadkinsmusic - Nov 29, 2013 at 3:19 AM

Hate to see stuff like this from him.. Not a very classy move.. Too bad, great player.. Let’s hope it’s a one-off mistake. And why do it? Do your players need rest? Did you need more time to figure out your game plan.. Not Cool .. first the DUI, then this… are these isolated events or the start of a low class trend?

17. kavika6 - Nov 29, 2013 at 3:28 AM

He’s a worse actor than Chris Paul.

18. footballer4ever - Nov 29, 2013 at 8:34 AM

The tricks of the trade inherited as a player now being applied to coaching. How unethical !

19. footballer4ever - Nov 29, 2013 at 8:36 AM

The tricks of the trade inherited as a player now being applied to coaching. How boringly expected.

20. noahbird - Nov 29, 2013 at 8:45 AM

Had a lil rum in the cup.

21. Anoesis - Nov 29, 2013 at 12:48 PM

The player who “bumped” him (Tyshawn Taylor) tried to back up Kidd:

“No [Kidd didn't say that]. I wasn’t paying attention. I just kind of bumped him. I didn’t even know he was holding [anything]. [But] coach was drinking a soda on the sideline. I was like, ‘What’s he doing?’ It could ice a free throw shooter and be a timeout when you don’t have one, but that wasn’t the thought process. I was just coming out, and he was in my way. ‘Coach, get out of my way, bro.’”

Maybe Kidd wrote Taylor a check, too.

22. richardleefine - Nov 29, 2013 at 1:48 PM

$50,000 is excessive, I think what happened was pretty clear in real time and should have resulted in a technical foul and maybe even possession. Either way I’ll bet he doesn’t pull that old trick out of the hat again.

23. richardleefine - Nov 29, 2013 at 1:48 PM

$50,000 is excessive, I think what happened was pretty clear in real time and should have resulted in a technical foul and maybe even lakers retaining possession. Either way I’ll bet he doesn’t pull that old trick out of the hat again.

24. baredon - Nov 29, 2013 at 4:17 PM

Stop drinking cokes..and let your hair grow……

25. lemfaxx - Nov 29, 2013 at 5:48 PM

Kid-kidd are you kidding??? Dont worry u are still @ my top 3 pg alltime….

Stephenson goes elsewhere for his future
Top 10 NBA Player Searches