Nov 28, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT
It’s just part of the business — the NBA schedule can mean holidays away from home and family for players, coaches and a host of support staff. Case in point, for the Miami Heat this season both Thanksgiving and Christmas will be spent on the road.
But on the road for Thanksgiving is still home for LeBron James — the Heat beat the Cleveland Cavaliers Wednesday night, right next to his hometown of Akron.
The team is staying over and Thursday LeBron is hosting a big Thanksgiving get together with turkey, yams, macaroni and cheese (a favorite if his) at his Akron home for the entire Heat team, he told the Associated Press.
“We would have loved to have been here for the holidays, Thanksgiving and Christmas being here in Miami,” James said. “We don’t mind playing on those holidays. Wish we could have been here, but I am happy that I’m able to do something for the team for Thanksgiving.”
“We’re not at home with our families for Thanksgiving but it couldn’t work out any better that at least we could be in someone else’s home,” Miami’s Dwyane Wade said. “And it’s a very nice home that we’re going to, so I’ll make sure I’ll put on the right clothes and the right socks, gotta-take-your-shoes-off-at-the-door type of house.”
It’s not just the Heat and LeBron. For example, he Lakers are flying on Thanksgiving and will land in Detroit, where Kobe Bryant has arrainged for a team Thanksgiving dinner. Yes, they’re going to invite Chris Kaman, too.
We all make due as best we can — sometimes work or other situations force us to be away from the ones we love most on the holidays, yet we are able to find family with the people around us. And that is something to be thankful for.
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 25
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 2
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 7
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 48
- NBA fines Clippers for attempting to circumvent salary cap with DeAndre Jordan 10
- The most overlooked – and maybe most significant – reason Carmelo Anthony won’t waive his no-trade clause this season 18