Nov 27, 2013, 6:27 PM EDT
This summer LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh can all opt out in Miami and the smart money says they all will, looking to get longer deals. Odds also are very good LeBron doesn’t go anywhere — look at the teams going after him, you think he wants to go to the mess in Cleveland or get second billing to Kobe’s farewell tour? — and Dwyane Wade is going to play for Miami his entire career. Whatever condition his knees are in.
Bosh on the other hand…
I’d say better than 50/50 he stays too. Miami is not going to do better (we’ll get into that in a bit) and they want him back, the question will be price. Other teams are going to target him, too.
The Dallas Mavericks will have cap space and some star power but league executives expect them to target another Heat free agent, Dallas native Bosh.
Going to play at home might well be a pull for Bosh, but it wasn’t in 2010. So would the thought that in a couple years Dirk Nowitzki will retire and the Mavericks would become Bosh’s franchise to lead.
But Bosh and Nowitzki — to stretch bigs who like to play outside the paint — would be an odd and awkward pairing. It doesn’t strike me as a good defensive pairing. Frankly it doesn’t strike me as something Mark Cuban would go hard after.
But it’s out there being discussed.
In the end I think Miami ponies up to keep Bosh. Tell me where Miami is going to get a better elite power forward who can stretch the floor for the max $10 million they could spend on another free agent (and that’s how much they have only if they let Mario Chalmers, Ray Allen and other role players walk). For all the holes we can pick in the Heat roster, they are the two time defending champs and will remain contenders for as long as that “big three” are healthy and LeBron is near his peak.
But it’s something to watch, Dallas may have Bosh in their sights.
- PBT Extra preview: Lakers, Celtics big name teams headed to lottery 7
- Could lottery reform be bad for small market teams? Sam Presti argues yes. 11
- LeBron James and his difficult-to-assess super teams 21
- Kevin Durant on return: “I’m not going to rush it all” 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: Dallas Mavericks 6
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 36
- Has Kobe Bryant cost the Lakers Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Paul George and others? 88
- Five favorites to win NBA 2014-15 MVP 22