Mike Woodson: ‘I don’t think I have lost the locker room’

Nov 27, 2013, 11:30 AM EDT

Mike Woodson

The Knicks are looking increasingly frustrated. It starts with their star, Carmelo Anthony, frequently complaining to officials and trickles down to the rest of the players.

Sometimes, issues like that are self-contained among the players. But other times, it’s the sign of larger discord – players lashing out in rebellion of a coach they no longer trust to corral them.

Which is the case in New York?

The man whose job depends on the answer gives the expected response. Knicks coach Mike Woodson, via Ohm Youngmisuk of ESPNNewYork.com:

“I don’t think I have lost the locker room,” Woodson said during his weekly spot on “The Stephen A. Smith and Ryan Ruocco Show” on ESPN New York 98.7. “I don’t think I have lost players from an individual standpoint. What I have lost is a Tyson Chandler and a Raymond Felton, that is what I have lost from my starting team.

“And I don’t know if you can go on any roster and take two starters out of their roster and they still survive,” Woodson added. “They might play in spurts like we are doing today. I am not making excuses, but I would sure love to take my chances with Tyson and Raymond in my lineup.”

Woodson is correct that the Knicks’ talent problems, both due to injury and not, trump any issues with him connecting to players. But those two often go hand-in-hands, especially on a team team that, from the top down, has unreasonably high expectations.

Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $85,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Wednesday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $9,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Wednesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.

Losing exasperates small problems. Players who might bite their tongue if they disagree with Woodson are more likely to speak out now, and that  would only fuel wider distrust.

If Woodson has the locker room, he’s holding on by a thread, because that’s true of everyone coaching a team that is falling so far short of its goals.

1. phillysports1 - Nov 27, 2013 at 11:33 AM

HAHAHAHHAHAH

• fanofevilempire - Nov 27, 2013 at 2:17 PM

the sixers ain’t doing that good, so keep calm.

2. ia8711 - Nov 27, 2013 at 12:00 PM

Felton is one of the worst starting PGs and Chandler is overrated.

• fanofevilempire - Nov 27, 2013 at 2:16 PM

who are you again, and why do you think you know anything about basketball?

• bougin89 - Nov 27, 2013 at 2:38 PM

I’m not sure I’d go all the way to saying Felton is the worst PG in the NBA but this year he has to be in discussion as one of the worst. It’s probably more so how the team is playing but he hasn’t helped.

3. honkerdawg - Nov 27, 2013 at 12:05 PM

The Knicks are just a B A D team. Overrated players, and an owner who’s a bonehead

4. ravenswhat - Nov 27, 2013 at 12:15 PM

This guy is an idiot and has obviously lost the locker room. I also saw a comment he made about shumpert when asked if he disliked him. He shot back “if I didn’t like him you think he would be playing 30 mins per game?” Nice to know he has to like a player personally to play him. What a jerk.

• fanofevilempire - Nov 27, 2013 at 2:18 PM

you are drunk, right?

5. gquesen - Nov 27, 2013 at 2:44 PM

He was definitely in the discussion when played for Portland.

6. xli2006 - Nov 27, 2013 at 5:52 PM

You have Ron Artest, JR Smith, Kenyon Martin in one locker room with Carmelo & Stoudemire as your “stars”… and you think Woodson is the problem with team chemistry?

It’s no mystery why that team has problems gelling: JUST READ THE ROSTER. That team just isn’t built to thrive.

• fanofevilempire - Nov 27, 2013 at 6:12 PM

they were built for basketball you schmuck!

• louhudson23 - Nov 28, 2013 at 4:35 AM

No,they were clearly built to be a dysfunctional group of check cashers,stat chasers,head cases and coach killers…….as the man said….read the names…..

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches