Nov 27, 2013, 2:16 PM EDT
If you wanted to open a strip club across the street from an NBA Arena, wouldn’t you have to name it the Gold Club? And make sure Patrick Ewing had free admission for life?
We don’t know what they plan to name it, but there is an effort started to open a “Gentleman’s Club” directly across the street from the BMO Bradley Center in Milwaukee — and not surprisingly the Bucks have come out in opposition to the idea. So have the Milwaukee Admirals, a minor league hockey team, and Marquette University, which plays games at the BMO Bradley Center.
“Without a doubt, the presence of a strip club will change the way our neighborhood is perceived and hurt our business,” the letter said.
The letter noted that the space is in a city parking garage where many Bradley Center customers park, so they would be forced to pass the strip club on their way to the center. Many attendees are families with young children, the letter said.
You have to think that in the reality of city politics this idea is DOA. Milwaukee politicians are not going to anger an ambassador for the city like a pro sports team, nor risk the Bucks and others starting to try and mobilize their fan base on this issue (read: mobilize voters).
Now, if you ever put an NBA team in Tampa, good luck building an arena where there wouldn’t be a strip club across the street.
But that’s another city, can’t see it happening in this case.
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 13
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 21
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 31
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 9
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 24
- Report: Agent for Greg Monroe pursued sign-and-trade deals with five teams, including Thunder and Blazers 25
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 23
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2