Nov 27, 2013, 2:16 PM EDT
If you wanted to open a strip club across the street from an NBA Arena, wouldn’t you have to name it the Gold Club? And make sure Patrick Ewing had free admission for life?
We don’t know what they plan to name it, but there is an effort started to open a “Gentleman’s Club” directly across the street from the BMO Bradley Center in Milwaukee — and not surprisingly the Bucks have come out in opposition to the idea. So have the Milwaukee Admirals, a minor league hockey team, and Marquette University, which plays games at the BMO Bradley Center.
“Without a doubt, the presence of a strip club will change the way our neighborhood is perceived and hurt our business,” the letter said.
The letter noted that the space is in a city parking garage where many Bradley Center customers park, so they would be forced to pass the strip club on their way to the center. Many attendees are families with young children, the letter said.
You have to think that in the reality of city politics this idea is DOA. Milwaukee politicians are not going to anger an ambassador for the city like a pro sports team, nor risk the Bucks and others starting to try and mobilize their fan base on this issue (read: mobilize voters).
Now, if you ever put an NBA team in Tampa, good luck building an arena where there wouldn’t be a strip club across the street.
But that’s another city, can’t see it happening in this case.
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 15
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 8
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11
- Report: Cavaliers trade Brendan Haywood, Mike Miller, two second-round picks to Portland 17
- Blake Griffin, Stephen Curry among latest big names headed to Team USA mini-camp 8
- Kyrie Irving off crutches, cleared by doctors to start working out 8
- Report: Becky Hammon gaining traction around the NBA as “serious” head-coaching candidate 43
- Gregg Popovich discusses three-point shot, changing roles for bigs in NBA 4