Nov 27, 2013, 12:55 PM EDT
Last season, Blake Griffin had to get his elbow drained, it was an issue that bothered him into the postseason.
This season, less than 20 games into it, he has had to have the same thing, it happened Sunday after the Clippers beat the Bulls, reports Broderick Turner at the Los Angeles Times.
“It’s still a little big,” Griffin said Tuesday. “But they put some anti-inflammatory fluid in there. It should go down in the next couple of days.”
Griffin said he was told that it wouldn’t be a good idea to have surgery on the bursa sac right now. “If you do, there’s an increased chance of arthritis,” Griffin said.
The bursa sac is natural fluid that helps provide cushion in the elbow. When the elbow swells it’s because too much fluid gets in there.
As our own D.J. Foster has detailed before, Griffin is playing better this season than his critics give him credit for. First off, he gets a higher percentage post touches and scores at a rate higher than or close to Kevin Love, LaMarcus Aldridge and DeMarcus Cousins. Griffin’s midrange game is improving — especially if he gets to his spots on the floor. From the left side of the floor below the free throw line, from 8 feet to the arc, he is shooting 55.5 percent this season. And honestly, why are you complaining about a guy who gets efficient dunks anyway?
But a bad elbow could slow him some. Just something to watch as the season moves on and we head into games that start to matter more.
- NBA players’ union head believes new labor deal can be reached without a work stoppage 4
- Kendrick Perkins says you’re blowing the LeBron James/Kevin Love thing way out of proportion 15
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 23
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 43
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 22
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 39
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 29