Nov 27, 2013, 12:55 PM EDT
Last season, Blake Griffin had to get his elbow drained, it was an issue that bothered him into the postseason.
This season, less than 20 games into it, he has had to have the same thing, it happened Sunday after the Clippers beat the Bulls, reports Broderick Turner at the Los Angeles Times.
“It’s still a little big,” Griffin said Tuesday. “But they put some anti-inflammatory fluid in there. It should go down in the next couple of days.”
Griffin said he was told that it wouldn’t be a good idea to have surgery on the bursa sac right now. “If you do, there’s an increased chance of arthritis,” Griffin said.
The bursa sac is natural fluid that helps provide cushion in the elbow. When the elbow swells it’s because too much fluid gets in there.
As our own D.J. Foster has detailed before, Griffin is playing better this season than his critics give him credit for. First off, he gets a higher percentage post touches and scores at a rate higher than or close to Kevin Love, LaMarcus Aldridge and DeMarcus Cousins. Griffin’s midrange game is improving — especially if he gets to his spots on the floor. From the left side of the floor below the free throw line, from 8 feet to the arc, he is shooting 55.5 percent this season. And honestly, why are you complaining about a guy who gets efficient dunks anyway?
But a bad elbow could slow him some. Just something to watch as the season moves on and we head into games that start to matter more.
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 26
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 33
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 25