Nov 27, 2013, 12:55 PM EDT
Last season, Blake Griffin had to get his elbow drained, it was an issue that bothered him into the postseason.
This season, less than 20 games into it, he has had to have the same thing, it happened Sunday after the Clippers beat the Bulls, reports Broderick Turner at the Los Angeles Times.
“It’s still a little big,” Griffin said Tuesday. “But they put some anti-inflammatory fluid in there. It should go down in the next couple of days.”
Griffin said he was told that it wouldn’t be a good idea to have surgery on the bursa sac right now. “If you do, there’s an increased chance of arthritis,” Griffin said.
The bursa sac is natural fluid that helps provide cushion in the elbow. When the elbow swells it’s because too much fluid gets in there.
As our own D.J. Foster has detailed before, Griffin is playing better this season than his critics give him credit for. First off, he gets a higher percentage post touches and scores at a rate higher than or close to Kevin Love, LaMarcus Aldridge and DeMarcus Cousins. Griffin’s midrange game is improving — especially if he gets to his spots on the floor. From the left side of the floor below the free throw line, from 8 feet to the arc, he is shooting 55.5 percent this season. And honestly, why are you complaining about a guy who gets efficient dunks anyway?
But a bad elbow could slow him some. Just something to watch as the season moves on and we head into games that start to matter more.
- Kobe Bryant responds to ESPN article with basically a shrug (VIDEO) 0
- Paul George refutes report he didn’t want to play with Kobe Bryant: ‘Media reaching again’ 13
- PBT Extra preview: Lakers, Celtics big name teams headed to lottery 11
- Could lottery reform be bad for small market teams? Sam Presti argues yes. 19
- LeBron James and his difficult-to-assess super teams 27
- Kevin Durant on return: “I’m not going to rush it all” 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: Dallas Mavericks 7
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 36