Nov 27, 2013, 12:55 PM EDT
Last season, Blake Griffin had to get his elbow drained, it was an issue that bothered him into the postseason.
This season, less than 20 games into it, he has had to have the same thing, it happened Sunday after the Clippers beat the Bulls, reports Broderick Turner at the Los Angeles Times.
“It’s still a little big,” Griffin said Tuesday. “But they put some anti-inflammatory fluid in there. It should go down in the next couple of days.”
Griffin said he was told that it wouldn’t be a good idea to have surgery on the bursa sac right now. “If you do, there’s an increased chance of arthritis,” Griffin said.
The bursa sac is natural fluid that helps provide cushion in the elbow. When the elbow swells it’s because too much fluid gets in there.
As our own D.J. Foster has detailed before, Griffin is playing better this season than his critics give him credit for. First off, he gets a higher percentage post touches and scores at a rate higher than or close to Kevin Love, LaMarcus Aldridge and DeMarcus Cousins. Griffin’s midrange game is improving — especially if he gets to his spots on the floor. From the left side of the floor below the free throw line, from 8 feet to the arc, he is shooting 55.5 percent this season. And honestly, why are you complaining about a guy who gets efficient dunks anyway?
But a bad elbow could slow him some. Just something to watch as the season moves on and we head into games that start to matter more.
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 0
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 32
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 47
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 16
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 9
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 6
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 23
- PBT Extra: Five best free agent signings in the first days of free agency 11