Russell Westbrook didn’t mind healthy scratch, hints more could be coming

Nov 26, 2013, 2:45 PM EST

Oklahoma City Thunder v Golden State Warriors Getty Images

Before tearing his meniscus in last season’s playoffs, Russell Westbrook had played every game in his five seasons. That gave him the longest active games-played streak in the NBA until he missed the Thunder’s season opener this season.

Streaks like that combine many factors including health, luck and attitude. The ship has sailed on Westbrook’s health, but I doubt his attitude has changed. He’s still the same competitor who has shown he’ll find his way onto the court as often as possible.

And Scott Brooks is still the coach who has repeatedly said he wouldn’t rest players out of respect for the game, according to Darnell Mayberry of The Oklahoman.

Yet, Westbrook sat out Oklahoma City’s win over the Jazz on Sunday, a game that was both followed and preceded by two off days, even though he could play.

Westbrook, via Mayberry:

“It’s planned throughout the season,” Westbrook said. “It’s 82 games of nonstop, and right now is the best time for me to take a break regardless of who we were playing. But on the schedule, we sit down and look at the schedule each month and try to find the best way to get me recovered.”

Asked if he agreed with the philosophy, Westbrook said “Yeah, I’m cool with it.”

“I don’t know if it’s going to happen every time. But I just know that was the best thing for right now,” he said.

Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $85,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Wednesday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $9,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Wednesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.

Westbrook is just 25, but the Thunder have big aspirations. They’ll need him deep into the playoffs, not for a regular-season game against the Western Conference’s worst team.

If the team’s doctors believe Westbrook taking the occasional day off is best for his long-term health, this is an easy call. Credit Westbrook and Brooks for getting over their reservations to allow this to happen.

Latest Posts
  1. Kobe Bryant on if he returns next season: “Yeah, that’s the plan”

Jan 30, 2015, 9:34 AM EST

Chicago Bulls v Los Angeles Lakers Getty Images

Did anyone think he would get injured and say, “nah, I don’t want to fight through this” and walk away?

2. Report: Magic close to firing Jacque Vaughn

Jan 30, 2015, 8:37 AM EST

Orlando Magic v Denver Nuggets Getty Images

Already facing scrutiny, Vaughn oversaw 15-point loss to Bucks last night

3. One day after having surgery, Kobe Bryant came to see Pau Gasol

Jan 30, 2015, 2:48 AM EST

BKN-NBA-BULLS-LAKERS Getty Images

“I really appreciate him coming, I didn’t expect it at all.” —Pau Gasol

4. Report: Magic haven’t ruled out firing Jacque Vaughn in-season

Jan 29, 2015, 10:45 PM EST

Jacque Vaughn Jacque Vaughn

Management is displeased with their underperformance.

5. Lakers pass out “Thanks Pau” shirts, have video tribute for return of Gasol

Jan 29, 2015, 10:02 PM EST

Pau shirt front

“Don’t it always seem to go that you don’t know what you’ve got ‘til it’s gone.”

6. Report: NBA passes rule raising the bar for team ownership

Jan 29, 2015, 9:30 PM EST

2015 Throne Boxing 2015 Throne Boxing

The new rule is an attempt to curtail Jay Z-style figurehead owners.

7. The three biggest All-Star snubs in each conference

Jan 29, 2015, 8:00 PM EST

DeMarcus Cousins DeMarcus Cousins

Damian Lillard, Kyle Korver, DeMarcus Cousins and more.

8. James Harden, three Hawks players lead list of NBA All-Star Game reserves

Jan 29, 2015, 7:27 PM EST

Houston Rockets v Phoenix Suns Getty Images

DeMarcus Cousins and Damian Lillard were left off in the West.

9. Timberwolves troll Kevin Love in advance of his Saturday return with Cavaliers (VIDEO)

Jan 29, 2015, 6:42 PM EST

Kevin Love Kevin Love

A promotional video hyping the matchup features plenty of players, but Kevin Love is noticeably absent.

10. Report: OKC front office backs Scott Brooks, may look to trade Reggie Jackson

Jan 29, 2015, 4:39 PM EST

Oklahoma City Thunder v Los Angeles Clippers - Game Six Getty Images

Brooks may last the season, but may not if Thunder miss the playoffs. Jackson, meanwhile, has been marginalized ever since Dion Waiters was acquired.

11. Dwyane Wade out indefinitely, says best case for his return is 2-3 weeks

Jan 29, 2015, 3:56 PM EST

Dwyane Wade AP

Wade may be selected as an All-Star reserve Thursday night, but wouldn’t play in the midseason exhibition if the timeline holds true.

12. Paul George, family discuss night of leg injury, recovery (VIDEO)

Jan 29, 2015, 3:25 PM EST

Indiana Pacers v Los Angeles Lakers Getty Images

“I looked down to see my legs, and I saw my bone. The second I saw my bone, I just lost it.”

Who should be All-Star Game reserves?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches