Nov 26, 2013, 8:31 PM EDT
The city of Sacramento rallied around the Kings for some reason, despite the fact that it’s one of the historically worst franchises that the NBA has ever seen.
When the threat of relocation to Seattle presented itself, former NBA player and current Sacramento mayor Kevin Johnson stepped in to save the day, helping a new ownership group take control which would keep the team in Sacramento for the foreseeable future.
The tease of Seattle potentially getting an NBA team back didn’t sit well with Eddie Vedder, lead singer of the world-renowned band Pearl Jam which hails from the Emerald City. And he made sure to make his feelings known during a recent tour stop in Oklahoma City.
Band point man Eddie Vedder – a Seattle native – took aim at Sacramento with an expletive-filled rant during a recent show in Oklahoma City, expressing his displeasure with the NBA’s decision to deny a Kings move to the Pacific Northwest. …
A fan’s video shows Vedder saying that “the people that really (expletive) us over is Sacramento,” before adding “when you think about it, and if you’ve ever been to Sacramento, they’re already kind of (expletive).” …
“See, here’s the deal,” Vedder said. “It’s nothing to do with Oklahoma or Oklahoma City or Tulsa or this state or the people or the locals or people in this building. It’s simply what it’d be like if your girlfriend, who you were with in a long-time relationship … well, you wouldn’t like her new husband. If it was Fresno, I’d be p—-d off at Fresno.”
The members of Pearl Jam were always into basketball; there was a brief early flirtation with the band being named Mookie Blaylock that is detailed excellently in this older piece over at Deadspin by an expert at both music and basketball, Bethlehem Shoals.
Vedder’s public place in the spotlight makes his comments on the matter relevant, but the fact is that many Seattle basketball fans are going to resent their Sacramento counterparts until a team ultimately returns to play in their city.
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 15
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32