Nov 26, 2013, 8:31 PM EDT
The city of Sacramento rallied around the Kings for some reason, despite the fact that it’s one of the historically worst franchises that the NBA has ever seen.
When the threat of relocation to Seattle presented itself, former NBA player and current Sacramento mayor Kevin Johnson stepped in to save the day, helping a new ownership group take control which would keep the team in Sacramento for the foreseeable future.
The tease of Seattle potentially getting an NBA team back didn’t sit well with Eddie Vedder, lead singer of the world-renowned band Pearl Jam which hails from the Emerald City. And he made sure to make his feelings known during a recent tour stop in Oklahoma City.
Band point man Eddie Vedder – a Seattle native – took aim at Sacramento with an expletive-filled rant during a recent show in Oklahoma City, expressing his displeasure with the NBA’s decision to deny a Kings move to the Pacific Northwest. …
A fan’s video shows Vedder saying that “the people that really (expletive) us over is Sacramento,” before adding “when you think about it, and if you’ve ever been to Sacramento, they’re already kind of (expletive).” …
“See, here’s the deal,” Vedder said. “It’s nothing to do with Oklahoma or Oklahoma City or Tulsa or this state or the people or the locals or people in this building. It’s simply what it’d be like if your girlfriend, who you were with in a long-time relationship … well, you wouldn’t like her new husband. If it was Fresno, I’d be p—-d off at Fresno.”
The members of Pearl Jam were always into basketball; there was a brief early flirtation with the band being named Mookie Blaylock that is detailed excellently in this older piece over at Deadspin by an expert at both music and basketball, Bethlehem Shoals.
Vedder’s public place in the spotlight makes his comments on the matter relevant, but the fact is that many Seattle basketball fans are going to resent their Sacramento counterparts until a team ultimately returns to play in their city.
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 32
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 47
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 14
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 16
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 44
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 42