Nov 26, 2013, 10:45 AM EDT
Omer Asik isn’t done with the Rockets just yet.
After being emotionally unready to play two games following a trade request, Asik continued his resurgence in a win over the Grizzlies on Monday. Since bottoming out with his back-to-back DNPs, Asik has played 7, 12, 13 and 21 minutes.
Against Memphis, the Rockets trailed by 12 at halftime, because they grabbed just 14 defensive rebounds to the Grizzlies’ 13 offensive rebounds. Not only did that give Memphis 16 second-chance points, it prevented Houston from getting into its transition offense.
Asik played 14 minutes in the second half alone – more than he’d played in any of the Rockets’ last seven games – and all of the fourth quarter. With 10 rebounds total, Asik helped Houston grab 19 of 22 available defensive rebounds and surge ahead for the win.
Asked if he was surprised that Kevin McHale never returned to Howard down the stretch, Asik said he had not considered it.
“I don’t think about that,” Asik said. “I just play whenever I get minutes. I just try to play hard.”
This is why the Rockets haven’t traded Asik yet.
There will be nights, like this one, where he helps the team win. They might be few and far between, but they will happen. Plus, Houston, especially considering Terrence Jones has successfully replaced Asik in the starting lineup, doesn’t have any gaping holes that could be filled with the return in an Asik trade.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $85,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Wednesday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $9,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Wednesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
Asik is too expensive a luxury to afford forever, but for now, the Rockets can wait for a good offer. In the meantime, they’ll happily get some production from him.
- Bugs Bunny teases the Jordan XXX in interview with Ahmad Rashad (VIDEO) 1
- Report: LeBron James calls the plays, Cavaliers coach David Blatt repeats them to team 50
- Anthony Davis says James Harden should be MVP 20
- Stop judging J.J. Redick by his Duke days if you haven’t already 7
- Thunder say Kevin Durant underwent successful bone graft surgery, will return in 4-6 months 4
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: DeMar DeRozan went Harden on Harden 12
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 13