Mike Woodson says perception he doesn’t like Iman Shumpert is ‘bullsh–’

Nov 26, 2013, 10:10 PM EDT

Knicks Pelicans Basketball AP

It’s been widely assumed that the Knicks as a franchise are less than enamored with Iman Shumpert, for reasons unclear to the majority of the team’s fan base.

Shumpert is a young asset who is active defensively and is capable of scoring in the right situations, which should make him valuable to a club filled with veteran players on big-money contracts.

He’s been the subject of trade rumors, even though he’s started every game he’s appeared in for the past two seasons. But for whatever reason, Knicks management doesn’t seem to want to be in the Iman Shumpert business. That apparently doesn’t include head coach Mike Woodson, however, who semi-angrily defended his feelings about Shumpert on Tuesday.

From Marc Berman of the New York Post:

“If I didn’t like him, I don’t think he’d be averaging 30 minutes on my ballclub,’’ Woodson said testily. “ You got to look at that. I like everybody on our team. So that perception is bull— if you ask me. If I didn’t think much of the man, he wouldn’t be playing. If I don’t think much of you, you’re not going to play.

“I’m going to play guys I like and think can help us win and who play hard. He’s one of those kids. That’s why he’s been a starter on this team since he’s been a rookie. That perception is bull—- if you ask me.’’

When asked if he got that message across to Shumpert, Woodson said, ““He knows how I feel. That’s all that counts.’’

Some of this internal animosity stems from Summer League, if you can believe it — the team wanted Shumpert to play and continue to develop alongside rookies and undrafted players, but a prior offseason commitment with adidas limited the amount of time he was able to physically be in Las Vegas.

The Knicks must have their reasons, and Shumpert will continue to be made available in any trade discussions. But by all appearances, Woodson isn’t the one who is trying to run this player out of town.

1. yousuxxors - Nov 26, 2013 at 10:31 PM

its James Dolan the basketball genius … if I could only go back in time and switch the team I cheer form

• fanofevilempire - Nov 27, 2013 at 1:48 PM

I hate people who not knickerbocker fans and talk sheet but they don’t tell you the
      team that they cheer for, that is real bull sheet.

2. antistratfordian - Nov 26, 2013 at 10:37 PM

Is this the type of “semi-angrily” that can be taken as disingenuous?

“The lady doth protest too much, methinks.”

3. legend30 - Nov 26, 2013 at 11:16 PM

James Dolan is going to end up firing Mike Woodson, and become the interim head coach … oh wait, he’s basically already the head coach.

• fanofevilempire - Nov 27, 2013 at 1:56 PM

this comment is rubbish.

4. emosnar - Nov 27, 2013 at 1:12 AM

NY doesn’t deserve a NBA franchise. Their media is never loyal, unsupportive and just look to sell headlines. NBA dumb asses gave them 2. Media is pretty ungrateful. I’m going to create a non profit org that pays coaches, NBA player fines if they refuse to answer dumb ass questions from the media. At least a discount.

5. ematias007 - Nov 27, 2013 at 3:56 AM

Dolan and Woodson are both imbeciles, they deserve each other.

6. cantonbound13 - Nov 27, 2013 at 10:37 AM

This team is not going anywhere as long as Dolan owns the team, Woodson is head coach & Amare’s contract is an issue.

7. optimus3 - Nov 28, 2013 at 8:50 AM

You don’t bench a guy you want to trade. You encourage him, make him feel wanted and necessary, wait until plays well for a 10-20 game span, then trade him.

F Dolan.