Nov 25, 2013, 11:27 AM EDT
At just age 25, Derrick Rose and the Bulls needed to think long term about his recovery from another knee surgery. They did.
The Bulls announced that Rose has undergone his knee surgery to repair the meniscus in his right knee and he is done for the season.
Rose tore the meniscus in his right knee — not the one he had surgery on more than a year ago — after making a hard cut Friday night against Portland. It was a non-contact injury.
His choice to get it repaired is not a surprise and is the right one. While Rose could have had his meniscus removed and been back on the court this season most likely, it would have shortened his career. Removal is what Dwyane Wade had done and look at him the end of the last few seasons.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $20,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Monday night’s games. It’s $10 to join and first prize is $3,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Monday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
Repair is generally how this is handled now, as it was with Russell Westbrook, he is back and explosive as ever. However, it took him a little more than six months to get back on the court. And history tells us not to expect Rose to beat estimates.
It was the right move.
It also leaves the Bulls with a lot of questions going forward about the makeup of this team — do they consider trading Luol Deng? Do they start to make moves that set them up to go after major free agents in the future they can pair with Rose to make this team a contender? That’s what Bulls’ management has to deal with now.
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 7
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 8
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 50