Nov 25, 2013, 4:14 PM EDT
Most NBA teams will do just about anything to cater to celebrities and the cachet their bring by attending games.
The New York Knicks are not most teams.
They have a few superfans/celebs that are regulars but now one of them — famed director Woody Allen — has gotten in hot water with the owner James Dolan, reports the New York Post (take this with the appropriate salt considering the source):
Sources say Dolan had the Oscar-winning director banned from Suite 200, the VIP lounge at Madison Square Garden, after Allen refused to do any promotion for MSG Network or the Garden of Dreams Foundation.
Allen had been a regular for years in the suite, where models, pop stars and pro athletes gather before games and at halftime for free drinks and food.
According to the report the MSG Network (owned by Dolan and which broadcasts the Knicks) bought the rights to several Allen films to show, they wanted him to come on and talk about them before hand, give a little insight. Allen, who can be publicity shy, declined. The Knicks told him maybe he shouldn’t be in the VIP lounge anymore, Allen said fine.
When the Post called for comment, the Knicks wouldn’t say anything other than to point out Allen has never done any work for Dolan’s youth charity, Garden of Dreams.
Whatever. Unless it the VIP room has Miley Cyrus performing with a huge image of a kitten behind her, who wants to go anyway?
The VIP lounge of the Garden was expanded during recent upgrades to the building. That’s all I can really tell you about it, that’s not the kind of place I get invited.
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 5
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 2
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10