Nov 25, 2013, 4:14 PM EDT
Most NBA teams will do just about anything to cater to celebrities and the cachet their bring by attending games.
The New York Knicks are not most teams.
They have a few superfans/celebs that are regulars but now one of them — famed director Woody Allen — has gotten in hot water with the owner James Dolan, reports the New York Post (take this with the appropriate salt considering the source):
Sources say Dolan had the Oscar-winning director banned from Suite 200, the VIP lounge at Madison Square Garden, after Allen refused to do any promotion for MSG Network or the Garden of Dreams Foundation.
Allen had been a regular for years in the suite, where models, pop stars and pro athletes gather before games and at halftime for free drinks and food.
According to the report the MSG Network (owned by Dolan and which broadcasts the Knicks) bought the rights to several Allen films to show, they wanted him to come on and talk about them before hand, give a little insight. Allen, who can be publicity shy, declined. The Knicks told him maybe he shouldn’t be in the VIP lounge anymore, Allen said fine.
When the Post called for comment, the Knicks wouldn’t say anything other than to point out Allen has never done any work for Dolan’s youth charity, Garden of Dreams.
Whatever. Unless it the VIP room has Miley Cyrus performing with a huge image of a kitten behind her, who wants to go anyway?
The VIP lounge of the Garden was expanded during recent upgrades to the building. That’s all I can really tell you about it, that’s not the kind of place I get invited.
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 5
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 34
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 35
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 9
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37