Nov 25, 2013, 4:14 PM EDT
Most NBA teams will do just about anything to cater to celebrities and the cachet their bring by attending games.
The New York Knicks are not most teams.
They have a few superfans/celebs that are regulars but now one of them — famed director Woody Allen — has gotten in hot water with the owner James Dolan, reports the New York Post (take this with the appropriate salt considering the source):
Sources say Dolan had the Oscar-winning director banned from Suite 200, the VIP lounge at Madison Square Garden, after Allen refused to do any promotion for MSG Network or the Garden of Dreams Foundation.
Allen had been a regular for years in the suite, where models, pop stars and pro athletes gather before games and at halftime for free drinks and food.
According to the report the MSG Network (owned by Dolan and which broadcasts the Knicks) bought the rights to several Allen films to show, they wanted him to come on and talk about them before hand, give a little insight. Allen, who can be publicity shy, declined. The Knicks told him maybe he shouldn’t be in the VIP lounge anymore, Allen said fine.
When the Post called for comment, the Knicks wouldn’t say anything other than to point out Allen has never done any work for Dolan’s youth charity, Garden of Dreams.
Whatever. Unless it the VIP room has Miley Cyrus performing with a huge image of a kitten behind her, who wants to go anyway?
The VIP lounge of the Garden was expanded during recent upgrades to the building. That’s all I can really tell you about it, that’s not the kind of place I get invited.
- Report: NBA considering week-long break for All-Star Game next year 0
- Report: Knicks made (ridiculous) offer to trade for Kevin Love 31
- Report: Lakers finally offer coaching position to Byron Scott, deal expected soon 24
- Report: Cavaliers leading Kevin Love-trade sweepstakes 41
- Chris Paul on boycott if Sterling is still owner: “That’s something me and Doc are both talking about” 31
- Players union approves of Thunder’s Josh Huestis arrangement 16
- Cavaliers officially sign Andrew Wiggins, putting 30-day hold on him being traded 58
- Lakers deny rumor they are waiting around for Doc Rivers to be coach 61