Nov 25, 2013, 7:46 PM EST
Hello Sacramento Kings.
The Timberwolves and Kings have agreed in principle to a trade that would send Williams to Sacramento in exchange for Luc Richard Mbah a Moute, according to multiple reports. This story was reported Marc Stein of ESPN. Those two can be traded for each other straight up, although it is possible other players or picks could end up part of the final package.
The only thing holding this up is Mbah a Moute passing a physical (he has knee issues), reports Marc Spears at Yahoo.
This trade has some logic for both sides, and not just reuniting UCLA teammates Kevin Love and Mbah a Moute.
Minnesota is in a win now mode and while statistically they have a Top 10 defense it has shown cracks in the past week. Mbah a Moute is still a strong man-on-man defender, someone the Timberwolves could lean on to get stops with the second unit and in specific matchups when they need him. He’s not going to bring much offense (although he seems to be back to his career averages after a rough last season). Mbah a Moute would have a much more defined role in Minnesota, which likely benefits him.
Williams, the former No. 2 pick, is an athletic tweener that put up decent numbers last season when Kevin Love was out (7.5 points and 8.1 rebounds a game), but now Love is back and there is no real fit for him. Williams is not a defender, doesn’t create good shots for himself and is not an efficient scorer in the Minnesota offense. With the Kings he could get a real chance, what he does with that remains to be seen.
- Russell Westbrook undergoes procedure to address cheek fracture, will be re-evaluated next week 2
- Russell Westbrook takes knee to face, it leaves dent (VIDEO) 14
- Former All-Star, popular Knick Anthony Mason dies at age 48 14
- Russell Westbrook posts third straight triple-double, Thunder lose anyway 6
- Shane Battier: ‘I think a 60-game season would be perfect’ 16
- Kyrie Irving has strained left shoulder, out Friday vs. Pacers 0
- Derrick Rose expected to return in 4-6 weeks. In time for playoffs. 20
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived 17