Purple and teal colors coming back to Charlotte alongside name change next year

Nov 24, 2013, 8:00 PM EDT

Charlotte-Hornets1

When the Charlotte Bobcats change their name back to the Charlotte Hornets next year, you’ll see some familiar colors out on the floor.

The Hornets have one of the most iconic and totally 90′s jerseys, and it’s good to see that Michael Jordan and company are reviving the old purple and teal color scheme.

When you think of the name “Hornets”, you think of Larry Johnson (Grandmama!), Muggsy Bogues, Zo, and those beautiful, beautiful starter jackets.

source: Getty Images

Appealing to nostalgic saps like me is a fine idea all around, and Jordan knows it. Here’s what MJ had to say about the return of purple and teal in the team’s press release:

“It was important to us to acknowledge the heritage of the Charlotte Hornets when bringing the name back to the market,” said Jordan. “The purple and teal color scheme was instantly recognizable as being associated with the original Hornets and we felt it was only appropriate to utilize the colors once again with this historic brand.”

The new (old?) color scheme will be accented by secondary colors of black, gray and light blue, because the people of North demand the inclusion of light blue in every single thing, ever.

I’m excited to see the return of the Hornets next season, even if it’s probably going to confuse casual basketball fans a bit. So long as the Hornets bring back their old mascot along with the names and the color scheme, though, we all win.

1. doug2626 - Nov 24, 2013 at 8:25 PM

So excited for this. I will finally have a favorite team again.

2. antistratfordian - Nov 24, 2013 at 9:11 PM

Bringing sexy back.

3. phil954 - Nov 24, 2013 at 9:14 PM

My Hornets tattoo will be relevant again though I don’t know if I want to stop being a Pelicans fan. Especially with how bad the Bobcats franchise has been.

• 00maltliquor - Nov 25, 2013 at 2:56 PM

Bro, that is a quagmire and a half right there!

I never thought about something like that. I got a Lakers tattoo, I couldn’t imagine the Lakers moving somewhere else, let’s say Iowa, and becoming the Iowa Lakers. I would stay with my franchise for sure, I had to do it with my Raiders when they dipped out of LA to go back to Oakland. Now I gotta rock with a dang Nor Cal team.

But to change the name of the franchise that’s tatted on you altogether, completely wiping out the identity AANND then another team becomes THAT team, the team that’s inked on you. WOW. Pretty raw deal.

Another similar ordeal for me was the Oilers-become-Titans-and-move-to-Tenessee. For all sports I root for the LA teams 1st (except NFL-thanks Raiders), and 2nd for fun I root for all Houston based teams (I know, I can’t shake Dwight). So when the Oilers shook out of H-Town I just abandoned them. They became a whole new franchise to me. When the Houston Texans popped up I immediately went with them.

So then I guess the next question to ask yourself, are you a fan because of territory or fan from elsewhere that just got down with the franchise? You’re in a pickle.

4. edwardemanuelson - Nov 24, 2013 at 9:18 PM

This is great! I’m not a Hornets fan, but I am all about the nostalgia! I hope to see some old school gear in the stands next year. Good move, MJ. If more teams would go throwback on a more regular basis, I’d love it.

5. Dogsweat - Nov 24, 2013 at 9:36 PM

Great job, great colors and logo!!!!!

6. MyTeamsAllStink - Nov 24, 2013 at 9:41 PM

I hope on opening night 2014 they have LJ Zo Curry and all the other great CHARLOTTE Hornets of the past as guests.Cant wait for their return next year

• 00maltliquor - Nov 25, 2013 at 3:06 PM

Don’t forget Muggsy! Or even Rex Chapman and Kendall Gill.

• MyTeamsAllStink - Nov 26, 2013 at 5:06 PM

Or Kelly Tripucka Kurt Rambis or JR Reid(he was a hornet right?)

7. titansbro - Nov 24, 2013 at 10:14 PM

The Hornets traded Kobe Bryant for Vlade Divac. Chew on that one.

• thetooloftools - Nov 25, 2013 at 12:39 AM

ya think?

• Anoesis - Nov 25, 2013 at 1:52 AM

Here’s a trivia question: What do the following NBA teams have in common?

Philadelphia 76ers.
      Toronto Raptors.
      Memphis (Vancouver) Grizzlies.
      Milwaukee Bucks.
      Minnesota Timberwolves.
      Boston Celtics.
      Los Angeles Clippers.
      New Jersey Nets.
      Dallas Mavericks.
      Indiana Pacers.
      Golden State Warriors.
      Cleveland Cavaliers.

Each passed on the opportunity to draft Kobe Bryant in 1996.

So why do the soon-to-be-Hornets-again always get dumped on for drafting Bryant and then immediately trading him to Los Angeles for Vlade Divac, a player who helped Charlotte to back-to-back 50-win seasons?

Former Hornets general manager Bob Bass:

“Let’s start out this way: There had never been a high school player come into the league that didn’t play in the front court.

“Secondly, 12 other teams passed on Kobe Bryant; 12 other teams said, ‘I don’t want him.’ The Nets even got a workout. He refused to work out with us. He didn’t work out with anybody. We had talks on the trade, but we didn’t make it for about 3 1/2 weeks. We had a chance to get a 7-foot-(1) center who had been very successful in the league.

“You add all those three things together, that’s why the decision was made. Plus, he couldn’t make a jump shot when he first came into the league. We won 54 the first year Divac was there and 51 the next year. The only problem with that (Hornets) team was Michael Jordan was in his hey-day and Patrick Ewing had that great New York team. And we were in the Eastern Conference. That’s what happened on that.”

In ’96 Lakers’ GM Jerry West was looking to shed Divac’s $8 million+ salary in order to pursue Shaquille O’Neal. Bryant showed up unannounced in L.A. to work out for the Lakers and basically torched Mississippi State’s Dontae Jones, who had led the Bulldogs into that year’s Final Four after a successful SEC Tournament in New Orleans, and was auditioning for the Lakers.

Bryant not only got the better of Jones, he went up against defensive specialist Michael Cooper, who couldn’t rattle the 17-year-old. West turned to an aide and said, “I’ve seen enough, let’s go.”

West knew the Hornets were in the market for a post player and made a deal that called for Charlotte to draft Bryant if he was still available and trade him to the Lakers for Divac.

“We had the deal, ” Bass said, “but who in the world thought (Bryant) would be there at No. 13? And the Lakers, regardless of what they said after they had (Bryant)…wanted space (under) the cap to sign Shaquille O’Neal. And devious as I am, I thought it would be a good way to get Shaquille out of the Eastern Conference. If we’d have gotten Michael and some others out, that would have been something.”

Whole interesting story here: http://blog.nola.com/hornetsbeat/2009/03/former_hornets_gm_bob_bass_liv.html

• djp141 - Nov 25, 2013 at 10:48 AM

No, the Hornets traded their draft pick for Vlade Divac. Then, the Lakers told them to draft Kobe.

• 00maltliquor - Nov 25, 2013 at 3:11 PM

Already been digested bro! And it was deee-licious! Thank you Charlotte Hornets! I LOVE that franchise! LOL

8. ProBasketballPundit - Nov 25, 2013 at 9:57 AM

We definitely need Hugo back. Rufus stinks.

9. multiplemiggs - Nov 25, 2013 at 10:50 AM

I went to kindergarten, 1st-3rd grade in Brooklyn, then moved out to Long Island in ’93 where I grew up. EVRYONE had those Hornetts starter jackets lol

10. redbaronx - Nov 25, 2013 at 2:11 PM

When I used to take women on a date to Wizards (Bullets) games vs. the Hornets, they used to end up rooting for the Hornets because they liked their uniforms and colors. And how couldn’t you like Larry “Grandmama” Johnson and Alonzo Mourning. That was a fun team to watch!

11. mackcarrington - Nov 26, 2013 at 12:49 AM

Wow! I remember now that everybody was wearing those Hornets Starter jackets. Even fans of other teams!
    That how dope they were. They were the first ones to have really cool team jackets.

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches