Nov 24, 2013, 8:00 PM EDT
When the Charlotte Bobcats change their name back to the Charlotte Hornets next year, you’ll see some familiar colors out on the floor.
The Hornets have one of the most iconic and totally 90’s jerseys, and it’s good to see that Michael Jordan and company are reviving the old purple and teal color scheme.
When you think of the name “Hornets”, you think of Larry Johnson (Grandmama!), Muggsy Bogues, Zo, and those beautiful, beautiful starter jackets.
Appealing to nostalgic saps like me is a fine idea all around, and Jordan knows it. Here’s what MJ had to say about the return of purple and teal in the team’s press release:
“It was important to us to acknowledge the heritage of the Charlotte Hornets when bringing the name back to the market,” said Jordan. “The purple and teal color scheme was instantly recognizable as being associated with the original Hornets and we felt it was only appropriate to utilize the colors once again with this historic brand.”
The new (old?) color scheme will be accented by secondary colors of black, gray and light blue, because the people of North demand the inclusion of light blue in every single thing, ever.
I’m excited to see the return of the Hornets next season, even if it’s probably going to confuse casual basketball fans a bit. So long as the Hornets bring back their old mascot along with the names and the color scheme, though, we all win.
- PBT Extra matchups to watch: Spurs look for ways to contain Chris Paul 1
- PBT Extra matchups to watch: Can Memphis keep Damian Lillard in check? 0
- Report: Suns’ Morris twins charged with aggravated assault 9
- Hawks’ Mike Budenholzer named 2014-15 NBA Coach of the Year 9
- With Anthony Davis and Pelicans drained, Warriors deliver down the stretch 12
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Can Toronto keep Paul Pierce quiet on the court? 6
- Bulls overcome ugly start to take 2-0 series lead over Bucks 14
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Dallas has to find a way to deal with Dwight Howard 6