Nov 24, 2013, 2:01 PM EDT
The Detroit Pistons need floor spacing and Brandon Jennings is not providing it.
He was 4-of-16 shooting with four turnovers in the Pistons loss Friday night, and in his last five games Jennings is shooting just 35.5 percent. On the season he is struggling to finish (hitting just 44.9 percent in the restricted area), struggling from the midrange (34.9 percent) and not hitting from three (30.6 percent). He’s only averaged 1.2 free throws a game his last five games.
That’s not stopping him — he has averaged 15.2 shots per game the last five games. He’s still shooting, just not making. Somewhere Bucks fans are just nodding their heads.
“I think that’s why my shot isn’t where it is right now,” he said. “I don’t have any confidence in my shot right now. That’s the reason I’m missing, because there’s just no confidence there….
“I’m just out there thinking too much when I’m playing,” he said. “I feel like I’m playing to prove everybody that I can be this fast for a point guard instead of just playing basketball.”
Jennings is still the Pistons leading per-game scorer on the season (15.9 points per game), but when you are shooting that low a percentage you drag the team offense down.
Thing is, Detroit doesn’t have a lot of other options.
Mo Cheeks has tried to change things up by bringing Josh Smith off the bench and starting Kyle Singler, and Singler shot 9-of-13 for 22 points in that role in a loss to the Hawks. However Smith was 0-7 off the bench.
In the end Detroit needs a lot more and better out of Brandon Jennings, but this kind of inefficient shooter is who he is — but this season is worse than normal. If he can get up to his career averages (a career true shooting percentage of 49.6 percent, it is just 44.9 this season) it would help.
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 10
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 9
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 40
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 12
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 22
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 60
- Report: Cavaliers trying to acquire other players to put in Kevin Love trade 60
- Report: Bulls making push to trade for Kevin Love 73