Nov 23, 2013, 5:34 PM EDT
That’s the sound of everyone exhaling.
When Derrick Rose left the game Friday with a right knee injury, the concern was that he tore his other ACL. Rose could put no weight on his non-surgically repaired leg, and he left the arena on crutches. It was very hard to be optimistic, but the Bulls received some relatively good news today from the results of the MRI.
Per sources, Derrick Rose tore his right meniscus and will need surgery.
— K.C. Johnson (@KCJHoop) November 23, 2013
Not to downplay the severity of Rose’s injury, but this could have been much worse.
There’s been no time frame placed on Rose’s recovery, because it likely depends on the severity of the tear. Rose will not be with the Bulls for the rest of their road trip.
Derrick has a medial meniscus tear in his right knee, having surgery, won’t accompany team on rest of road trip.
— Aggrey Sam (@CSNBullsInsider) November 23, 2013
If the meniscus needs to be fully repaired, Rose will likely miss more games. If it needs to be just trimmed and cleaned, the recovery time should be shorter. Either way, based on other meniscus injuries we’ve seen in the past, this shouldn’t keep Rose out for the rest of the season. Of course, every injury and body is unique, so we can’t say that with certainty.
Right now Rose is listed as “out indefinitely” according to multiple reports. Stay tuned for further updates.
- Report: Suns, Eric Bledsoe have ‘made progress’ on a new contract in last couple of days 0
- Report: Michael Beasley reaches agreement with Memphis Grizzlies 4
- Report: NBA not actively investigating source of Luol Deng African comment 5
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Indiana Pacers 2
- Celtics owner: Rajon Rondo ‘super stubborn,’ harder than average to coach 19
- Bruce Bowen says blame for James Harden’s defense falls on McHale, Rockets 18
- NBA to review domestic violence policies in wake of NFL’s ugliness. It shouldn’t have taken that. 13
- Cavaliers lift ban on fan who ran onto court with LeBron James shirt 16