Nov 23, 2013, 5:34 PM EST
That’s the sound of everyone exhaling.
When Derrick Rose left the game Friday with a right knee injury, the concern was that he tore his other ACL. Rose could put no weight on his non-surgically repaired leg, and he left the arena on crutches. It was very hard to be optimistic, but the Bulls received some relatively good news today from the results of the MRI.
Per sources, Derrick Rose tore his right meniscus and will need surgery.
— K.C. Johnson (@KCJHoop) November 23, 2013
Not to downplay the severity of Rose’s injury, but this could have been much worse.
There’s been no time frame placed on Rose’s recovery, because it likely depends on the severity of the tear. Rose will not be with the Bulls for the rest of their road trip.
Derrick has a medial meniscus tear in his right knee, having surgery, won’t accompany team on rest of road trip.
— Aggrey Sam (@CSNBullsInsider) November 23, 2013
If the meniscus needs to be fully repaired, Rose will likely miss more games. If it needs to be just trimmed and cleaned, the recovery time should be shorter. Either way, based on other meniscus injuries we’ve seen in the past, this shouldn’t keep Rose out for the rest of the season. Of course, every injury and body is unique, so we can’t say that with certainty.
Right now Rose is listed as “out indefinitely” according to multiple reports. Stay tuned for further updates.
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 12
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 12
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 10
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 18
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 55
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 8
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 8
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 7