Nov 23, 2013, 2:06 AM EDT
Memphis big man Marc Gasol, the reigning NBA Defensive Player of the Year, left in the second quarter of the Grizzlies’ loss to the Spurs Friday night and did not return after tweaking his left knee.
It doesn’t look good. The team has scheduled an MRI on Saturday to see how severe it is, reports Sam Amick of the USA Today.
Gasol was defending the Spurs Aron Baynes on the block and had defensive position when his knee just buckled. Gasol hobbled off the court not to return.
The team officially called this a left knee sprain. The MRI will determine just how bad this is.
Without Gasol’s defense and passing out of the post the Grizzlies go from a team that made the Western Conference Finals last season to a team that is not nearly as threatening come the postseason. Gasol averages 17.2 points, 7.5 rebounds, 4.4 assists, and 1.2 blocks a game, but it is on the defensive end where he is the anchor for one of the league’s sharpest defenses.
Let’s hope it’s not severe.
The Spurs went on a 21-10 run after Gasol went out and San Antonio went on to win the game easily 102-86.
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 0
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 12
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14