Nov 23, 2013, 2:06 AM EDT
Memphis big man Marc Gasol, the reigning NBA Defensive Player of the Year, left in the second quarter of the Grizzlies’ loss to the Spurs Friday night and did not return after tweaking his left knee.
It doesn’t look good. The team has scheduled an MRI on Saturday to see how severe it is, reports Sam Amick of the USA Today.
Gasol was defending the Spurs Aron Baynes on the block and had defensive position when his knee just buckled. Gasol hobbled off the court not to return.
The team officially called this a left knee sprain. The MRI will determine just how bad this is.
Without Gasol’s defense and passing out of the post the Grizzlies go from a team that made the Western Conference Finals last season to a team that is not nearly as threatening come the postseason. Gasol averages 17.2 points, 7.5 rebounds, 4.4 assists, and 1.2 blocks a game, but it is on the defensive end where he is the anchor for one of the league’s sharpest defenses.
Let’s hope it’s not severe.
The Spurs went on a 21-10 run after Gasol went out and San Antonio went on to win the game easily 102-86.
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 26
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 34
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 20
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 56
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 17
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 7