Nov 23, 2013, 2:06 AM EDT
Memphis big man Marc Gasol, the reigning NBA Defensive Player of the Year, left in the second quarter of the Grizzlies’ loss to the Spurs Friday night and did not return after tweaking his left knee.
It doesn’t look good. The team has scheduled an MRI on Saturday to see how severe it is, reports Sam Amick of the USA Today.
Gasol was defending the Spurs Aron Baynes on the block and had defensive position when his knee just buckled. Gasol hobbled off the court not to return.
The team officially called this a left knee sprain. The MRI will determine just how bad this is.
Without Gasol’s defense and passing out of the post the Grizzlies go from a team that made the Western Conference Finals last season to a team that is not nearly as threatening come the postseason. Gasol averages 17.2 points, 7.5 rebounds, 4.4 assists, and 1.2 blocks a game, but it is on the defensive end where he is the anchor for one of the league’s sharpest defenses.
Let’s hope it’s not severe.
The Spurs went on a 21-10 run after Gasol went out and San Antonio went on to win the game easily 102-86.
- Kendrick Perkins says you’re blowing the LeBron James/Kevin Love thing way out of proportion 4
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 21
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 41
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 22
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 39
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 29
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2