Derrick Rose leaves game with potentially serious knee injury (VIDEO)

Nov 23, 2013, 1:03 AM EDT

This is potentially bad news, not just for Bulls fans but also for fans of the game of basketball.

With 3:20 left in the third quarter in Portland Friday night Derrick Rose made a back cut and Joakim Noah tried to hit him with a bounce pass, but Nicolas Batum defended it well, stole the pass and headed upcourt.

Rose tries to plant, cut up court to chase the play and in the process injured his right knee.

He left the game not to return. He later came through the locker room on crutches.

It’s hard to tell from the video the severity and there is no preliminary word on what happened, only speculation. Rose will get an MRI on Saturday to determine the severity of the injury, reports Aggrey Sam of CSNChicago.com. The Blazers went on to win the game 98-95.

This is not the knee he had surgically repaired after a torn ACL, an injury that caused him to miss all of last season. However, players compensating after an ACL surgery then injuring the other leg has been known to happen.

Let’s hope it’s nothing serious.

CSN Northwest’s Isaac Ropp tweeted this out.

1. unfrozencavemanlawyer2 - Nov 23, 2013 at 1:15 AM

I hope- for his sake- it’s not serious- but it sure doesn’t look good. I can’t help but think of the great quote from Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas: “There he goes. One of God’s own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

The Riggin for Wiggins/Parker/Randle/Exum crowd may have gained one more participant.

2. prareedoggin - Nov 23, 2013 at 1:20 AM

I hope he’s not injured because i really want my team to beat a healthy bulls in the playoffs, just like we did when he was MVP

3. dstriet - Nov 23, 2013 at 1:21 AM

it was the right knee not the one already torn!

4. asimonetti88 - Nov 23, 2013 at 1:23 AM

That did not look good. I hope he is ok. It would be terrible to see him suffer another injury so soon after coming back. He is such an enjoyable player to watch when healthy and at the top of his game.

• maracineanu16 - Nov 23, 2013 at 1:37 AM

Now I wonder if all those idiots will criticize him again for not returning in the middle of the last season

• antistratfordian - Nov 23, 2013 at 2:12 AM

If he would’ve come back last year he would’ve been 10 pounds lighter – I wonder if that would’ve made a difference. He was just talking about how he’s stronger now because he added 10 pounds of muscle. But he’s likely been overcompensating in some way already, and then he added pounds on top of that…

That’s not a criticism, I’m just wondering if that could be a contributing factor. I wish Rose the best.

• maracineanu16 - Nov 23, 2013 at 2:14 AM

Well, I don’t think so, I don’t see it as a big difference

• antistratfordian - Nov 23, 2013 at 2:28 AM

Well it’s pointless to speculate when we don’t even know what the issue is. Let’s hope it’s minor.

• maracineanu16 - Nov 23, 2013 at 2:34 AM

yeah, man, let’s hope so

• belleby123 - Nov 23, 2013 at 8:08 AM

“Idiots?” Really? The lack of logic and reasoning is stunning. If Rose had come back last year he could’ve potentially helped the Bulls in a playoff run and have been just as injury prone. What do you think would’ve happened? Because he didn’t sit a year out he would’ve disemboweled himself and then burst into flames? I can see Kurt’s headline now: “Derrick Rose decapitates himself because he came back a year early due to Bulls fans’ criticisms.” Words fail me in describing how stupid this sounds. And people gave that comment a thumbs up?

5. gquesen - Nov 23, 2013 at 1:25 AM

Just heard on CSNNW that DRose tore his right ACL. If that’s true, this bad for Rose, The Bulls, and the league. Man, it sucks because I’m a Blazer fan. That game was intense. But that injury is just devastating for everyone.

• rodyaugu - Nov 23, 2013 at 8:54 AM

The result of the MRI hasn’t been released yet. So I don’t know where you get that information.

6. legend30 - Nov 23, 2013 at 1:29 AM

Tragic. I already hear that Bulls fear is a torn right ACL. Terrible news for the NBA, I can’t believe this is happening again. As a longtime Heat fan, I’m extremely upset and saddened right now. Prayers go to Derrick Rose, hopefully it’s only a minor injury. I made some jokes about his “return” but can everyone please make no jokes about his injury this time. Hopefully, he’ll be the same player, if in fact, it’s a torn ACL. Sigh…

• 91devinhester23 - Nov 23, 2013 at 10:28 AM

oh yeah, you’re so upset and saddened. Not jumping for joy that your team has only one speedbump (Indiana) to the finals again. The trolls are already all over this.

Back to my bottle….

• legend30 - Nov 23, 2013 at 11:15 AM

I’m trolling? I’m going to let this slide, I understand that you’re frustrated, so I’m going to leave my thoughts to myself.

• apkyletexas - Nov 23, 2013 at 2:56 PM

Wow, dude. Hope you find what you’re looking for at the bottom of that bottle.

Clearly it’s not sympathy or empathy.

7. prareedoggin - Nov 23, 2013 at 1:29 AM

I hope its nothing serious because I want my team to beat a healthy rose in the playoffs just like we did when rose was MVP. There no match for the Heat and I wish other ppl would stop saying there a threat. Hope hes ok

8. asublimeday - Nov 23, 2013 at 1:49 AM

Punk Kurt saying Bulls fans would get over rose’s absurd drama from last year three games into the season. How’s that theory working out for you?

9. 32magicman - Nov 23, 2013 at 1:49 AM

What a shame. This guy was on his way to a hall of fame career before this injury run. Hope he doesn’t end up as the next penny hardaway or grant hill and fall right off.

• apkyletexas - Nov 23, 2013 at 2:54 PM

Someone’s got to say it – Tracy McGrady.

Too bad. Couple of potential all-time greats with gimpy wheels.

As a Spurs fan, I’m thankful that little Tony Parker’s legs and body can stand up to all the abuse he puts himself through. Pretty impressive what he does in terms of throwing his body around and crashing repeatedly to the floor night after night, yet managing to start 73 games a year for 12 years and counting.

10. asublimeday - Nov 23, 2013 at 1:52 AM

—–
    Yeah those idiots relying on the medical advice of some of the worlds top doctors.

• maracineanu16 - Nov 23, 2013 at 2:16 AM

now if this thing happened this far (we will know it only after the MRI) I wonder how good are these doctors?

• maracineanu16 - Nov 23, 2013 at 2:19 AM

In order not to be miss-understood – I mean they cleared him for sport activities early in the season, he didn’t return, but did that only at the beginning of this season, so I wonder what could have happened had he returned last season/

• gofinsgoheatfloria - Nov 23, 2013 at 6:32 AM

Did the doctors actually offer an opinion on the chances of an injury to the other knee?

• maracineanu16 - Nov 23, 2013 at 6:42 AM

@gofinsgoheatfloria
        my bad…

11. asublimeday - Nov 23, 2013 at 3:19 AM

The point was you were calling people idiots for relying on the clearance of doctors. Medical doctors. You’re changing the subject now, but I was defending those “idiots”.

12. cubb1 - Nov 23, 2013 at 3:57 AM

See ya in 2016 DRose.

13. bhester1906 - Nov 23, 2013 at 4:06 AM

This is terrible. I hope the best for Rose. What else sucks is that the Bulls are so well coached they will overachieve. They will still make the playoffs and possibly out the first round. That’s going to knock them out of the draft lottery and they won’t be able to get one of these studs coming out of college. Rose will be back in 2014 trying to be a super hero again on two bad knees smh…Lets hope its a sprain.

14. daddyghi - Nov 23, 2013 at 5:08 AM

that’s why a good medical team is badly needed these days… or perhaps a good pair of nike’s?

15. jammer73 - Nov 23, 2013 at 5:13 AM

Lookin forward to his return to the league as a bit player for the Heat in a couple years. Greg Oden 2.0.

• maracineanu16 - Nov 23, 2013 at 7:07 AM

:):) no way

16. pftbillsfan - Nov 23, 2013 at 6:22 AM

As a Dr I can tell you there is a test administer immediately by pressing the ankle and shin forward to see if you feel resistance the same as you normally would. It’s a 99% accurate test to determine ACL vs the other ligaments of the knee. I can assure you this was done on the court and had it been a good outcome I cannot imagine why a release wouldn’t have been made stating most likely not an ACL.

17. notyouraveragegoon - Nov 23, 2013 at 8:11 AM

I hope this teaches him a valuable lesson… Play while you can. I hope he makes another stupid comeback video. Goof.

18. chiadam - Nov 23, 2013 at 8:17 AM

It’s a torn ACL. Those are extremely easy for any trainer to detect based on the way the knee moves around. The MRI is jus to confirm what they know, it is not to diagnose. And the Bulls are in a ton of trouble. They have $100 million tied up in a guy that has played 10 games in two seasons, and don’t forget he missed a lot of time in the regular season two years ago before tearing his other ACL in the first game of the playoffs. I don’t know what the future holds for Rose, but I know he will not look anything like 2010- 2011 D Rose.

19. 2016olympics - Nov 23, 2013 at 8:29 AM

If true…Bulls may quickly go into rebuild mode.

Step #1) Trade Luol and his $14M expiring deal for yound players or picks.

Step #2) Amnesty Boozer this offseason.

Step #3) Bring Nikola Mirotic over from Spain ASAP.

Step #4) Hope that the Bobcats suck for the next two years, to get their unprotected 2016 pick (Tyrus Thomas trade).

• chiadam - Nov 23, 2013 at 8:55 AM

Mirotic will still be on a slotted salary until the summer of 2014. He would make a lot less in the NBA than he does in Spain. And he would have to pay a large buyout to do so. He will not be here until 2015, and even then there are no guarantees. The Bulls could be a wasteland by then. Why come over here and play for a horrible team when you can stay in your home country and make millions on a good team? He does not have to come to the NBA just because he was drafted.

• pudgalvin - Nov 23, 2013 at 10:45 AM

He won’t be on a slotted deal, too far past when he was drafted. He’s able to negotiate whatever deal he sees fit.

• chiadam - Nov 23, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Slotted salaries for three years after a player is drafted. He was drafted in the summer of 2011, so he will be free of slotting after the 2014 season. I don’t know how much the buyout is, but I know the Bulls can only pay $500k of it. So there are two factors: the slotted salaries and the buyout. In any event, it is 2015 at the absolute earliest for Mirotic.

• pudgalvin - Nov 24, 2013 at 12:35 PM

2011 season, 2012 season, 2013 season. That’s 3. After this season, he’s free of the slotting.

20. tfilarski - Nov 23, 2013 at 8:32 AM

When does insurance kick in?

• duncanslabs - Nov 23, 2013 at 8:41 AM

Can’t sign in…log jam in D.C.
      Oh wait….just received word that the premiums were too high do to pre-existing condition($)!!!!!!!!!

21. dexterismyhero - Nov 23, 2013 at 8:46 AM

I heard someone else was taking his MRI (SAT)!!!!

22. seanb20124 - Nov 23, 2013 at 8:53 AM

Wonder if adidas insured his contract for injury.

He will be Arenas part 2

23. MyTeamsAllStink - Nov 23, 2013 at 9:10 AM

feel bad for the kid.Seems like a good guy and the Bulls were finally getting back to winning since the Jordan years.He may be the next Brandon Roy

24. fnc111 - Nov 23, 2013 at 9:50 AM

Guaranteed torn ACL. Out for the season.

25. bbk1000 - Nov 23, 2013 at 11:21 AM

Derrick “On Wounded Knees” Rose…..perhaps this is why he was afraid to return too soon from the last surgery…..perhaps not….

Stephenson goes elsewhere for his future
Top 10 NBA Player Searches