Nov 22, 2013, 11:52 AM EDT
On paper it seems like a great trade.
The Rockets really want a stretch four to go next to Dwight Howard and Ryan Anderson may be the best in the business. The Pelicans have a budding young superstar in Anthony Davis they could use a solid big who can do some of the dirty work next to him, someone like Omer Asik.
The salaries are pretty close, so why not Anderson for Asik?
A few reasons, notes Marc Stein at ESPN. Don’t expect this deal to go down.
1. The Pelicans love how Anderson fits into their core and are said to believe his ability to space the floor does as much for Anthony Davis as a bruising center like Asik would.
2. The Pelicans love the production Anderson gives them, and the very reasonable contract he possesses in relation to that production. Asik’s offensive limitations will be even harder to stomach next season when that balloon payment valued at nearly $15 million kicks in.
3. Anderson is under contract to the Pelicans for two more seasons after this one on those favorable terms: $34 million over four years. Asik can become a free agent in the summer of 2015, and likewise can’t be extended by the team that acquires him this season because he has fewer than three seasons left on his current contract.
To recap: The Pelicans like Anderson and he is a better financial deal. The Pelicans front office isn’t stupid, don’t bet on this happening.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $20,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Friday night’s games. It’s just $10 to join and first prize is $3,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Friday. Here’s the link.
Sorry, you need to go back to the trade machine and come up with another deal.
Jul 26, 2014, 12:01 AM EDT
Players asked Adam Silver for for an extended break when he first took office. He seems to be listening.
Jul 25, 2014, 10:46 PM EDT
Anthony reportedly strongly considered the Lakers too, but he says that wasn’t really the case.
Jul 25, 2014, 9:45 PM EDT
The union for the players continues to struggle to get some competent leadership in place.
Jul 25, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT
Come on, son.
Jul 25, 2014, 7:45 PM EDT
Joakim Noah continues to be brutally honest when speaking about his team’s competition.
Jul 25, 2014, 6:46 PM EDT
The Andrew Wiggins spin and dunk is a thing of beauty.
Jul 25, 2014, 5:59 PM EDT
Casspi ends up back with the Kings on a minimum salary deal.
Jul 25, 2014, 5:14 PM EDT
He is a solid backup to have while Dennis Schroder develops.
Jul 25, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT
Magic rookie shows off handles
Jul 25, 2014, 3:44 PM EDT
Will Cherry was fun to watch at Las Vegas Summer League.
Jul 25, 2014, 3:05 PM EDT
George Karl is a better coach than Byron Scott
Jul 25, 2014, 2:22 PM EDT
Finally. Job has been vacant since April 30.
Jul 25, 2014, 1:44 PM EDT
Knicks’ record last season: 37-45
Melo’s contract value: $124,064,681
Jul 25, 2014, 1:11 PM EDT
Bulls also must make room for Nikola Mirotic in frontcourt
Jul 25, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
Dirk Nowitzki presents a big strike zone.
Jul 25, 2014, 11:51 AM EDT
Former Bull and Piston sat out last season
Jul 25, 2014, 11:11 AM EDT
New TV deal expected to drastically increase revenue
Jul 25, 2014, 10:33 AM EDT
Not a Cleveland Cavaliers beat reporter. A LeBron James beat reporter.
Jul 25, 2014, 9:55 AM EDT
Rookie big man has been mentioned in Kevin Love trade rumors
Jul 25, 2014, 9:22 AM EDT
Timberwolves reportedly come to their senses, prefer Andrew Wiggins to Klay Thompson
- Report: NBA considering week-long break for All-Star Game next year 0
- Report: Knicks made (ridiculous) offer to trade for Kevin Love 31
- Report: Lakers finally offer coaching position to Byron Scott, deal expected soon 24
- Report: Cavaliers leading Kevin Love-trade sweepstakes 41
- Chris Paul on boycott if Sterling is still owner: “That’s something me and Doc are both talking about” 31
- Players union approves of Thunder’s Josh Huestis arrangement 16
- Cavaliers officially sign Andrew Wiggins, putting 30-day hold on him being traded 58
- Lakers deny rumor they are waiting around for Doc Rivers to be coach 61