Nov 22, 2013, 11:52 AM EST
On paper it seems like a great trade.
The Rockets really want a stretch four to go next to Dwight Howard and Ryan Anderson may be the best in the business. The Pelicans have a budding young superstar in Anthony Davis they could use a solid big who can do some of the dirty work next to him, someone like Omer Asik.
The salaries are pretty close, so why not Anderson for Asik?
A few reasons, notes Marc Stein at ESPN. Don’t expect this deal to go down.
1. The Pelicans love how Anderson fits into their core and are said to believe his ability to space the floor does as much for Anthony Davis as a bruising center like Asik would.
2. The Pelicans love the production Anderson gives them, and the very reasonable contract he possesses in relation to that production. Asik’s offensive limitations will be even harder to stomach next season when that balloon payment valued at nearly $15 million kicks in.
3. Anderson is under contract to the Pelicans for two more seasons after this one on those favorable terms: $34 million over four years. Asik can become a free agent in the summer of 2015, and likewise can’t be extended by the team that acquires him this season because he has fewer than three seasons left on his current contract.
To recap: The Pelicans like Anderson and he is a better financial deal. The Pelicans front office isn’t stupid, don’t bet on this happening.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $20,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Friday night’s games. It’s just $10 to join and first prize is $3,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Friday. Here’s the link.
Sorry, you need to go back to the trade machine and come up with another deal.
Dec 26, 2014, 2:56 AM EST
The flagrant fouls and ejections we’ve come to expect from these teams were non-existent, as L.A. came away with a “signature win” over the league-leading Warriors.
Dec 25, 2014, 11:48 PM EST
The Bulls blew out the Lakers on Christmas.
Dec 25, 2014, 11:31 PM EST
Wade was brilliant… for a half, anyway. But that was enough.
Dec 25, 2014, 10:16 PM EST
Dec 25, 2014, 9:24 PM EST
Bryant misses his second straight game simply due to a need for rest.
Dec 25, 2014, 6:46 PM EST
With Kevin Durant out, Westbrook puts Oklahoma City on his back, elevates Steven Adams and helps produce 114-106 victory
Dec 25, 2014, 6:10 PM EST
Scott Brooks: Kevin Durant ‘could not go if he wanted to go’
Dec 25, 2014, 4:15 PM EST
Washington was never threatened after the first quarter.
Dec 25, 2014, 2:46 PM EST
A multiple game suspension is following.
Dec 25, 2014, 2:00 PM EST
Well, it’s a pretty easy goal to reach.
Dec 25, 2014, 12:30 PM EST
Kevin Durant would not start as of right now, but expect that to change once he starts playing again.
Dec 25, 2014, 11:00 AM EST
Howard and Smith were AAU teammates.
PBT Christmas Day preview: Late game between Clippers and Warriors will see league’s best rivalry renewed
Dec 25, 2014, 9:30 AM EST
These teams do not like each other.
Dec 25, 2014, 8:00 AM EST
And at No. 1… come on, isn’t it pretty obvious?
Dec 25, 2014, 2:13 AM EST
This will be his fourth game missed with a sprained ankle, they are 1-2 without him the last three.
Dec 24, 2014, 11:00 PM EST
The Wizards are an underrated team in the East. The Knicks… not so much.
Dec 24, 2014, 9:30 PM EST
Previewing the Bulls vs. Lakers matchup at the United Center.
Dec 24, 2014, 9:00 PM EST
Colorways inspired by shoes Michael Jordan wore during his best Christmas Day performance.
Spurs and Thunder, who’ve been best in the West lately, both fighting for position entering Christmas matchup
Dec 24, 2014, 7:00 PM EST
Injuries to Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook and Kawhi Leonard have put both teams behind the eight ball
Dec 24, 2014, 6:06 PM EST
An additional confirmation that no Deron Williams deal gets done on Sacramento’s side unless they can also get the talented young big man as part of the package.
- Clippers win ‘nice, boring’ Christmas Day battle with Warriors 0
- Miami fans give LeBron warm welcome, Heat team not so much in upset win 6
- Russell Westbrook inspires Thunder to skid-stopping win over Spurs 8
- LeBron James, Stephen Curry leading in early All-Star voting returns 16
- PBT Christmas Day preview: Late game between Clippers and Warriors will see league’s best rivalry renewed 1
- PBT Extra: Top 5 NBA stories of 2014 0
- Five things to watch as NBA takes over Christmas Day 16
- Cavaliers center Anderson Varejao tears Achilles, done for season 30