Nov 22, 2013, 11:52 AM EDT
On paper it seems like a great trade.
The Rockets really want a stretch four to go next to Dwight Howard and Ryan Anderson may be the best in the business. The Pelicans have a budding young superstar in Anthony Davis they could use a solid big who can do some of the dirty work next to him, someone like Omer Asik.
The salaries are pretty close, so why not Anderson for Asik?
A few reasons, notes Marc Stein at ESPN. Don’t expect this deal to go down.
1. The Pelicans love how Anderson fits into their core and are said to believe his ability to space the floor does as much for Anthony Davis as a bruising center like Asik would.
2. The Pelicans love the production Anderson gives them, and the very reasonable contract he possesses in relation to that production. Asik’s offensive limitations will be even harder to stomach next season when that balloon payment valued at nearly $15 million kicks in.
3. Anderson is under contract to the Pelicans for two more seasons after this one on those favorable terms: $34 million over four years. Asik can become a free agent in the summer of 2015, and likewise can’t be extended by the team that acquires him this season because he has fewer than three seasons left on his current contract.
To recap: The Pelicans like Anderson and he is a better financial deal. The Pelicans front office isn’t stupid, don’t bet on this happening.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $20,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Friday night’s games. It’s just $10 to join and first prize is $3,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Friday. Here’s the link.
Sorry, you need to go back to the trade machine and come up with another deal.
Mar 27, 2015, 8:30 PM EDT
The battle between Green and Doc Rivers continues in the funniest of ways.
Mar 27, 2015, 7:25 PM EDT
Blatt knows James is unlikely to get the league-wide award this season.
Mar 27, 2015, 6:12 PM EDT
The Thunder defense has become a mess, which is bad for the playoffs.
Mar 27, 2015, 5:18 PM EDT
What is in James Harden’s beard?
Mar 27, 2015, 4:32 PM EDT
He is likely a middle second round pick if he comes out.
Mar 27, 2015, 3:45 PM EDT
It’s pretty spot on. And cold-blooded.
Mar 27, 2015, 3:09 PM EDT
He should be back next season, the final one of this contract with Oklahoma City.
Mar 27, 2015, 2:16 PM EDT
Drake and Lou Williams are tight.
Mar 27, 2015, 1:32 PM EDT
Cousey said not Shaq, not Ewing, nobody reminded him of Russell like Whiteside.
Mar 27, 2015, 12:42 PM EDT
You do not see this every day.
Mar 27, 2015, 11:55 AM EDT
As everyone braces for 2016 spike, another big bump could follow
Mar 27, 2015, 10:55 AM EDT
LeBron James and a lot of stature are gone, but with the more-modest goal of just making the playoffs, Miami’s new point guard embracing the challenge
Mar 27, 2015, 10:19 AM EDT
Pelicans star missed eight free throws in setback to Houston
Mar 27, 2015, 9:44 AM EDT
Hornets’ playoff chances looking dim
Mar 27, 2015, 9:06 AM EDT
Bradley Beal questionable
Mar 27, 2015, 8:30 AM EDT
Cousins has gotten better, but he still has yet to hear a foul call he liked.
Mar 27, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
He hit 12 straight shots at one point.
Mar 27, 2015, 1:08 AM EDT
Stoudemire can give a team 15 minutes a night off the bench of quality play.
Mar 27, 2015, 12:05 AM EDT
Dangerous play from Scola.
Mar 26, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT
A day later the league says Andrew Wiggins was fouled, but the officials let it go at the time.
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 7
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 5
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 28
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 24
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Kevin Love seems to be fitting in just fine suddenly 4
- It’s official: Dwight Howard will return to Rockets’ lineup Wednesday 2