Nov 22, 2013, 11:52 AM EDT
On paper it seems like a great trade.
The Rockets really want a stretch four to go next to Dwight Howard and Ryan Anderson may be the best in the business. The Pelicans have a budding young superstar in Anthony Davis they could use a solid big who can do some of the dirty work next to him, someone like Omer Asik.
The salaries are pretty close, so why not Anderson for Asik?
A few reasons, notes Marc Stein at ESPN. Don’t expect this deal to go down.
1. The Pelicans love how Anderson fits into their core and are said to believe his ability to space the floor does as much for Anthony Davis as a bruising center like Asik would.
2. The Pelicans love the production Anderson gives them, and the very reasonable contract he possesses in relation to that production. Asik’s offensive limitations will be even harder to stomach next season when that balloon payment valued at nearly $15 million kicks in.
3. Anderson is under contract to the Pelicans for two more seasons after this one on those favorable terms: $34 million over four years. Asik can become a free agent in the summer of 2015, and likewise can’t be extended by the team that acquires him this season because he has fewer than three seasons left on his current contract.
To recap: The Pelicans like Anderson and he is a better financial deal. The Pelicans front office isn’t stupid, don’t bet on this happening.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $20,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Friday night’s games. It’s just $10 to join and first prize is $3,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Friday. Here’s the link.
Sorry, you need to go back to the trade machine and come up with another deal.
Sep 4, 2015, 10:29 PM EDT
They sell shoes in Germany, too.
Sep 4, 2015, 8:59 PM EDT
He shows promise as a good NBA center.
Sep 4, 2015, 7:30 PM EDT
He’s coming off an ACL surgery and misses the start of the season.
Sep 4, 2015, 7:01 PM EDT
Quincy Pondexter could be out longer.
Sep 4, 2015, 6:00 PM EDT
The real banner goes up opening night.
Sep 4, 2015, 4:59 PM EDT
That locker room was a hot mess.
Sep 4, 2015, 4:15 PM EDT
Do they, though?
Sep 4, 2015, 3:21 PM EDT
…from his own company
Sep 4, 2015, 2:24 PM EDT
Given the strength of the Western Conference, they should be
Sep 4, 2015, 1:25 PM EDT
That’ll make owners more prone to locking out players
Sep 4, 2015, 12:23 PM EDT
Houston also reportedly adding Denzel Livingston, Remi Yusuf, Will Cummings
Sep 4, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT
Rocky plays the heel
Sep 4, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT
Durant played with New York coach Derek Fisher
Sep 4, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT
Will San Antonio extend it?
Sep 4, 2015, 8:32 AM EDT
He shot just 34 percent in Summer League.
Sep 4, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
If he’s healthy and the vintage, athletic McGee Dallas could use him.
Sep 4, 2015, 12:33 AM EDT
Thomas is a former No. 4 overall pick.
Sep 3, 2015, 11:15 PM EDT
The street artist Madsteez painted the commissioned piece.
Sep 3, 2015, 10:30 PM EDT
Weber played four years in college.
Sep 3, 2015, 9:41 PM EDT
Someone should tell him that isn’t up to him.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 42
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 33
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 34
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18