Nov 22, 2013, 4:28 PM EDT
Lamar Odom, who recently met with Doc Rivers, clearly is the Clippers’ No. 1 choice to fill their 15th roster spot. But there are no guarantees Odom will be ready by the end of the season, so they can’t bank on him.
Lamar Odom remains the leading candidate to be signed by the Los Angeles Clippers to fill the opening they have in their frontcourt rotation.
But there’s at least one other known name on the Clippers’ list behind Odom in terms of potential in-season signees: Chris Wilcox.
Yet sources say the likelihood remains that Odom will ultimately get the call as he continues to work his way back from an offseason of off-court tumult. One source told ESPN.com last week that no deal with the Clippers “is imminent” but added that he’d be “surprised” if Odom doesn’t wind up as a Clipper for the third time.
Wilcox spent the last two seasons in Boston with Rivers, so the Clippers would likely know what they’re getting. For a team that’s already a legitimate championship contender, the safe route with end-of-bench players is usually best.
When not asked to do too much – and he certainly wouldn’t be in Los Angeles – Wilcox is pretty good. He’s an efficient finisher in the pick-and-roll (a skill that would mesh well with Chris Paul), a surprisingly effective passer and even a helpful defender after picking up a few tricks during his 11-year career.
There’s no rush to sign either Odom or Wilcox. The Clippers (8-5) are good enough already, and veterans like Odom or Wilcox are mostly desired for depth in the playoffs. Because neither player is being waived in-season, there is also no deadline for something to happen in order for them to be eligible for the playoff roster.
The only deadline is one self-imposed by the Clippers to ensure they get enough time acclimatize whomever they sign. Whenever that is, that’s likely when they actually move on from Odom to someone like Wilcox.
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 7
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 2
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 10
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 10
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 50
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 30
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 29