Nov 22, 2013, 3:26 PM EDT
Don’t expect him to play Sunday, either.
In a surprise to nobody after he sat out practice on Thursday due to soreness, Kobe Bryant is officially out Friday night when the Lakers take on the Golden State Warriors. Coach Mike D’Antoni said that at shootaround Friday, reports Dave McMenamin of ESPNLosAngeles.com.
Stephen Curry also is questionable for this game as he has not yet cleared the league’s concussion protocols.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $20,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Friday night’s games. It’s just $10 to join and first prize is $3,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Friday. Here’s the link.
The Lakers next game is Sunday night at home against Sacramento. After that the Lakers head out on the road for three games.
It’s going to be interesting when Kobe does return — Mike D’Antoni has already talked about the need for the Lakers to find a new identity. The Lakers have played at the fourth fastest pace in the league so far, can they maintain that with a 35-year-old coming off an Achilles surgery handling the ball more? His return will help the Lakers offense once they find a groove, but that will take a few games most likely.
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 17
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 25
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 27
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 30
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 31
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 40
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24
- Report: Lakers would still trade D’Angelo Russell for DeMarcus Cousins straight up. Kings wouldn’t. 30