Nov 22, 2013, 3:26 PM EST
Don’t expect him to play Sunday, either.
In a surprise to nobody after he sat out practice on Thursday due to soreness, Kobe Bryant is officially out Friday night when the Lakers take on the Golden State Warriors. Coach Mike D’Antoni said that at shootaround Friday, reports Dave McMenamin of ESPNLosAngeles.com.
Stephen Curry also is questionable for this game as he has not yet cleared the league’s concussion protocols.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $20,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Friday night’s games. It’s just $10 to join and first prize is $3,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Friday. Here’s the link.
The Lakers next game is Sunday night at home against Sacramento. After that the Lakers head out on the road for three games.
It’s going to be interesting when Kobe does return — Mike D’Antoni has already talked about the need for the Lakers to find a new identity. The Lakers have played at the fourth fastest pace in the league so far, can they maintain that with a 35-year-old coming off an Achilles surgery handling the ball more? His return will help the Lakers offense once they find a groove, but that will take a few games most likely.
- Report: Timberwolves’ Ricky Rubio set to return Monday vs. Dallas 5
- Nike unveils latest signature shoe for Kobe Bryant, the Kobe X (PHOTOS) 13
- Report: Nuggets trying to trade for Brook Lopez 12
- Last summer Carmelo Anthony, Kobe Bryant talked, decided it wouldn’t work together 30
- Jimmy Butler even plans to play defense in the All-Star Game 9
- Damian Lillard “disappointed,” “disrespected” not to make All-Star team 45
- DeMarcus Cousins replaces Kobe Bryant in All-Star game 11
- Tyson Chandler, better than ever, thinking legacy 10