Nov 21, 2013, 1:33 PM EDT
Everyone has been piling on Dwight Howard this season — Shaq on TNT, Mark Cuban, Lakers fans, pretty much everyone outside Houston…
And now you can add Vince Carter to the list. That is former teammate and fellow off-season Orlando resident Vince Carter.
“All the time,” Carter said of Howard’s whining to officials. “He always talks about how I’m a crybaby. I was like, ‘Yo, you’re the biggest crybaby I know.’ And then later, he’s like, ‘Yo, why’d you say that to me?’ But I know Dwight. It’s all good, but he is [a crybaby].
“I mean, he takes a lot of punishment, but I’m like, ‘Yo, c’mon Dwight, c’mon. You elbowed, you’re sitting in the paint the entire time. What are you whining about?’ He told me to stop crying. I was like, ‘What? Are you serious?’”
Does Howard take a lot physical abuse? Yes. So did Shaq, Wilt, Kareem, all the way back to George Mikan. It’s part of the position. It’s exacerbated for Howard because you’d rather foul him and send him to the line than let him shoot — and Howard is strong so if you’re going to foul him you better come hard.
All I will add is something we’ve said before here — if Howard wants to change the narrative about him he has to win. It was that way with Kobe Bryant, it was true also of LeBron James. Winners get to write history. If Howard wants to change the story he needs to hoist the Larry O’Brien trophy in Houston. Until then, the shots keep coming.
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 20
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2
- Jim Boeheim says of Carmelo Anthony, “it would have been better to go to Chicago” 30
- Steve Ballmer screams like a maniac at Clippers rally 26
- Thibodeau calls Team USA “perfect setting” for Derrick Rose to make return 6
- What four players left likely to get cut from Team USA roster? Things don’t look good for Andre Drummond. 19
- John Calipari says he was not close to going to Cleveland. LeBron or not. 12
- Report: Shawn Marion commits to play with Cavaliers, LeBron James 47