Nov 21, 2013, 1:33 PM EST
Everyone has been piling on Dwight Howard this season — Shaq on TNT, Mark Cuban, Lakers fans, pretty much everyone outside Houston…
And now you can add Vince Carter to the list. That is former teammate and fellow off-season Orlando resident Vince Carter.
“All the time,” Carter said of Howard’s whining to officials. “He always talks about how I’m a crybaby. I was like, ‘Yo, you’re the biggest crybaby I know.’ And then later, he’s like, ‘Yo, why’d you say that to me?’ But I know Dwight. It’s all good, but he is [a crybaby].
“I mean, he takes a lot of punishment, but I’m like, ‘Yo, c’mon Dwight, c’mon. You elbowed, you’re sitting in the paint the entire time. What are you whining about?’ He told me to stop crying. I was like, ‘What? Are you serious?’”
Does Howard take a lot physical abuse? Yes. So did Shaq, Wilt, Kareem, all the way back to George Mikan. It’s part of the position. It’s exacerbated for Howard because you’d rather foul him and send him to the line than let him shoot — and Howard is strong so if you’re going to foul him you better come hard.
All I will add is something we’ve said before here — if Howard wants to change the narrative about him he has to win. It was that way with Kobe Bryant, it was true also of LeBron James. Winners get to write history. If Howard wants to change the story he needs to hoist the Larry O’Brien trophy in Houston. Until then, the shots keep coming.
- Carmelo Anthony on the Knicks: “The fans are dying, we’re dying” 10
- Rockets officially sign Josh Smith, who will play Friday night; waive Tarik Black 5
- Clippers win ‘nice, boring’ Christmas Day battle with Warriors 1
- Miami fans give LeBron warm welcome, Heat team not so much in upset win 24
- Russell Westbrook inspires Thunder to skid-stopping win over Spurs 8
- LeBron James, Stephen Curry leading in early All-Star voting returns 30
- PBT Christmas Day preview: Late game between Clippers and Warriors will see league’s best rivalry renewed 1
- PBT Extra: Top 5 NBA stories of 2014 0