Nov 21, 2013, 1:33 PM EDT
Everyone has been piling on Dwight Howard this season — Shaq on TNT, Mark Cuban, Lakers fans, pretty much everyone outside Houston…
And now you can add Vince Carter to the list. That is former teammate and fellow off-season Orlando resident Vince Carter.
“All the time,” Carter said of Howard’s whining to officials. “He always talks about how I’m a crybaby. I was like, ‘Yo, you’re the biggest crybaby I know.’ And then later, he’s like, ‘Yo, why’d you say that to me?’ But I know Dwight. It’s all good, but he is [a crybaby].
“I mean, he takes a lot of punishment, but I’m like, ‘Yo, c’mon Dwight, c’mon. You elbowed, you’re sitting in the paint the entire time. What are you whining about?’ He told me to stop crying. I was like, ‘What? Are you serious?’”
Does Howard take a lot physical abuse? Yes. So did Shaq, Wilt, Kareem, all the way back to George Mikan. It’s part of the position. It’s exacerbated for Howard because you’d rather foul him and send him to the line than let him shoot — and Howard is strong so if you’re going to foul him you better come hard.
All I will add is something we’ve said before here — if Howard wants to change the narrative about him he has to win. It was that way with Kobe Bryant, it was true also of LeBron James. Winners get to write history. If Howard wants to change the story he needs to hoist the Larry O’Brien trophy in Houston. Until then, the shots keep coming.
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 11
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 11
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 50
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 17
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 18
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 33
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 11