Nov 21, 2013, 10:01 AM EDT
Pau Gasol is averaging a career-low 13.0 points per game so far this season. At 33, he might just be too far past his prime to regularly score in the high teens, as he did in his peak.
That’s OK. Aging is a natural part of the game, and Gasol certainly isn’t to blame.
His decline isn’t something to fret over. What are you going to do? Root against aging? That’s just silly.
Well, consider me silly, because I’m rooting hard against aging on Friday.
Children are suffering in the Philippines. Typhoon Haiyan—the year’s most powerful tropical storm—is the latest natural disaster to strike a country already reeling from monsoon flooding and a massive earthquake. These children desperately need shelter, clean water, medicine and nutrition.
I am helping UNICEF raise money for their efforts on the ground…I am pledging $1,000 for every point I score at the Lakers game on Friday (November 22nd) to The U.S. Fund for UNICEF. Will you help too? Make a donation now (by clicking donate to this fundraiser) OR join me by pledging $1, $5, $10, $20, or however much you can, for every point that I score Friday night. If you join me in pledging per point, please send me a tweet to let me know. Together we can help make a difference for the children of the Philippines! Your generosity will help UNICEF provide access to lifesaving care and support to millions of children in the Philippines.
Complicating matters, Los Angeles’ opponent Friday, the Warriors are allowing just 95.6 points per game, fifth-fewest in the league. This is going to be a challenge.
I’m pulling for Gasol to set a new season high, besting the 25 points he scored against the Nuggets last week. But just to play it safe, we could all donate through his fundraiser.
Then, we’d definitely help Filipino children get the support they need.
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 0
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 34
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 38