Nov 21, 2013, 10:01 AM EDT
Pau Gasol is averaging a career-low 13.0 points per game so far this season. At 33, he might just be too far past his prime to regularly score in the high teens, as he did in his peak.
That’s OK. Aging is a natural part of the game, and Gasol certainly isn’t to blame.
His decline isn’t something to fret over. What are you going to do? Root against aging? That’s just silly.
Well, consider me silly, because I’m rooting hard against aging on Friday.
Children are suffering in the Philippines. Typhoon Haiyan—the year’s most powerful tropical storm—is the latest natural disaster to strike a country already reeling from monsoon flooding and a massive earthquake. These children desperately need shelter, clean water, medicine and nutrition.
I am helping UNICEF raise money for their efforts on the ground…I am pledging $1,000 for every point I score at the Lakers game on Friday (November 22nd) to The U.S. Fund for UNICEF. Will you help too? Make a donation now (by clicking donate to this fundraiser) OR join me by pledging $1, $5, $10, $20, or however much you can, for every point that I score Friday night. If you join me in pledging per point, please send me a tweet to let me know. Together we can help make a difference for the children of the Philippines! Your generosity will help UNICEF provide access to lifesaving care and support to millions of children in the Philippines.
Complicating matters, Los Angeles’ opponent Friday, the Warriors are allowing just 95.6 points per game, fifth-fewest in the league. This is going to be a challenge.
I’m pulling for Gasol to set a new season high, besting the 25 points he scored against the Nuggets last week. But just to play it safe, we could all donate through his fundraiser.
Then, we’d definitely help Filipino children get the support they need.
- PBT Extra: Will Doc Rivers sit Chris Paul in Game 2? 0
- Tony Allen on MVP Stephen Curry: “It ain’t nothing I ain’t never seen before” 10
- PBT Extra: Grizzlies searching for answers, Mike Conley in Game 2 1
- PBT Extra: Hawks need to lean on starters more, hit open looks in Game 2 0
- CP3 who? Clippers come from behind to take Game 1 from Rockets on road. 23
- Bulls ride hot start, strong shooting night to Game 1 win in Cleveland 25
- Chris Paul out for Game 1 of Clippers-Rockets series 1
- PBT Extra: Stephen Curry is the MVP for a modern NBA 13